Friday, February 12, 2010

words, don't come easy

This image of the shopfront of Repetto in Paris has a tenuous link to the following post - but it's so pretty! I'll be stopping by that store to buy a keepsake for my pretty ballerina when we're in Paris next year... {and now for the segue...} where I shall be speaking fluently thanks to my Alliance Francais lessons.

Ha!

Last night was my second lesson and while I'm still bamboozled by how much is crammed into two hours, I'm starting to gain more of an understanding of the French language. In the past I've tried to learn French for travellers - through books, tapes and most recently, my iPod. But the problem here is that French for Travellers requires rote learning - not one of my special skills. However, with the Alliance Francais I'm learning to speak French - not translate English words and phrases to French - huge difference!

The beginner's course will run for a year, over four terms, and then next year it's onto continuing beginners, then intermediate, then advanced. Long-term commitment huh. But I'm excited by the challenge. I'm starting to understand the vowel sound and where they appear. I now understand how to break up words into syllables and think I've already grasped a few of the basics. Show me a french word now and I'll have a pretty good shot at pronouncing it.

Last night the teacher even directed two "Parfait" in my direction at my pronunciation {perfect, obviously being the highest level of praise!} but I also got a few "non, non, NON!" and corrections with a wry chuckle and a shake of the head. So far my brain's remembering around 80 per cent of the rules - which is an astonishing achievement for someone who hasn't studied for such a long time. But our teacher's aiming for 100 per cent - so I'll do my best.

We have homework every day which I'm devouring like the girly swat I am. And I'm listening to French music such as the parfait Emilie Simon. Better watch out, I'll be checking out the French News before long...

11 comments:

  1. Good girl pookie! Sounds like you have it nailed. Or should I say cloué?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to start that course this year to gear up for my sabbatical in Paris next year, but it didn't work out...(the course, the sabbatical is still on).

    Love the photo and I watch the French news - just to be surrounded by the sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, Beth - listen to you! Parfait!

    Wow, Jen, jealous about the sabbatical - must know more - when, for how long, why, where...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy Child asked me the other about french words. So I'll ask you and if you don't know you can ask your teacher... I think that's fair don't you? :)

    How is La Roux pronounced? I told him all french words endign in aux, oux are pronounced o basically. Is that wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, no one will give me a sabbatical (you know, all paid for and organised) so I thought instead of just wishing for one, I'd just make it happen. So I'm going to rent an apartment for three months and just *sit* in Paris. Just totally focus on taking it in and seeing what happens. I hope to do some things related to my work (sewing and history) but that is optional. I really just want to go with the experience.

    I've been before but only for quick trips and it just isn't enough. My sewing is going to fund it. I really need to blog about all this, but, yeah, basically that's the plan! I'm aiming for April 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're going to be speaking fluently in no time. What an awesome achievement and it will make your trip so much more special when you can converse with the locals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad it's going well! I've been teaching Eva French, Spanish and potentially Chinese (NEXT YEAR) using this brand of kids products called Eeeboo that is simply marvelous. I also bought her french and spanish music, I find it really helps her to sing along. Now hop on over to itunes and get you some new french music girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Jen - good for you! What an amazing adventure!!

    Kellyansapansa - that's the aim. Last two times I relied on guide books, sign language and crappy pronunciation. This time's going to be soooo different!

    Wow Sara Rose, sounds like the home schooling's going to be doing wonders for the divine Miss Eva! We did play So Frenchy So Chic all the way to the nursery and back yesterday - and I even understood far more words {and can NEARLY roll my rrrrrs}

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooo that is so exciting :) . Well done on the praise too. Sounds like you will be fluent in no time :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x