Tuesday, February 23, 2010

sew sew

Oh, how I wish I could sew with confidence. I'm not a natural seamstress. My mum sews magnificently and so whenever anything got tough {zippers, button holes, circular seems...} I'd hand any projects over to her.

But now I have a task. A task I've put off for the last two weeks but can no longer ignore. I need to sew the ribbons onto my daughter's ballet slippers. Eek. And my mum's in Melbourne and I can hardly ask her to fly up to do the job.

Now, while you'd think that hand sewing would be easier, you'd be wrong. My stitches are huge, clumsy and the ribbons would be off before the first pirouette. So instead, I've got the machine out, the ribbons are waiting and I'm going to have a coffee for strength and sew those ribbons on for my pretty ballerina.

8 comments:

  1. I am no good at sewing either - I often ask my friend for assistance since she is ok at it - or my mum. I am only good at cross-stich type sewing.

    Good luck - still confused where the ribbons go on ballet shoes,,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished Clarissa and eek, what a nightmare. My poor needle wasn't happy about sewing through the leather - and the slippery satin ribbons kept sliding around. At least it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are absolutely great! congrats! love

    ReplyDelete
  4. The things you don't realise that you sign up for when becoming a mum, Oana!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the reasons I tried to convince her that Ballet just wasn't her thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done for getting it done, no way I would have attempted it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I lived there, I'd ha e given you a detailed tutorial. I'm pretty darned adept after years on end of sewing ribbons and elastics on mine and other students shoes. Do they hit the back of her arch? Is the inside one longer than the outside? re they triple stitched? ll the insano details. UGH.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha E. I know what you mean. But at least I don't have to sew the costumes for the concert!

    Kakka, I decided that I was being wussy not doing it - so just dived in.

    Sara Rose, thanks for that advice, think I've inadvertently done most of it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x