Thursday, February 18, 2010

greased lightening

When my husband and I met, nearly 17 years ago, we both had very cool vintage cars. He had a cute-as-a-box-of-buttons Morris Minor in British Racing Green and I had a grey and white Vauxhaul Kresta {just like this one with fins, whitewall tyres, red leather interior and hydromatic transmission...}. Such. A. Damned. Cool. Car.

We moved in together after six months and, as we were both at Uni, decided we only needed one car. Sadly, my car needed extensive work so the Morris won. It was a great little car - so damned cute. No seatbelts though so when we moved to Sydney and would regularly drive the Sydney-Newcastle freeway we were totally putting our lives out there.

When I fell pregnant we had to get a sensible car. One with seat belts. So we had to sell our little Morris. Luckily it went to a good home and we sometimes see it tootling around Morpeth up in the Hunter Valley. Nice home.

Now we've both got a craving for another vintage car. A vintage ute to be exact. I saw a gorgeous powder-blue Holden the other day that set my heart-a-fluttering. If our first car's a sensible modern option surely we can have a funky second car?

10 comments:

  1. ABSOLUTELY!! Go GET it!! (Then, post a picture of it, pretty please!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dream of a powder blue Mercedes Sports. 280SE (I think).
    Early 1970's.


    bolory - a large bulbous-topped weapon used to control bollocks babbling bores

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah,...a second car can always be the more fun one. My boyfriend has a toyota celica for his first car...and for camping/holidays he has a toyota 80 series (with much modification done by himself)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Madmother - I'm with you! But wow, hope we can avoid those bolory!

    Clarissa - yep - that's right. Second car = fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go for it. I have always wanted a ute although I was thinking more of a modern V8, but this sound fantastic too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow very nice first car! Definitely go for it with the second car. I've always wanted an older mod convertible bug, maybe one day... (can't see 3 carseats fitting across the back of it right now :p)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just unleashing the ute-love here aren't I Kakka?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is ESSENTIAL that you get a funky second vintage car. That is all.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x