Wednesday, February 17, 2010

calling my name


Today I had to go to an outer suburb to buy a part for my car. I had a general idea where it was, but then totally managed to drive past it. So I pulled over, ready to do a u-turn, when I realised that I was directly outside a Lifeline store. Now, I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I think that when a serendipitous event causes me to stop outside an op-shop that's because something inside is calling my name.

And oh boy, was I called.

First of all I found two of these pretty lil cake stands. They're cream, hand-painted with roses and rimmed with gold. Perfect. I'm in love.

So then, I place them on the glass counter, stare below and am socked in the eye with, wait for it, VINTAGE EIFFEL TOWER CUFF LINKS. Yeah baby. And they were only $5. So I hand over $3 each for my cake stands, repress my squeals and hand over $5 for the cuff links and walk out on a cloud of delight.

PS: Husband is utterly chuffed to bits at the cuff links - and now I'm kinda wishing I'd saved them till his birthday, but as if I could keep a buy like that to myself till May. C'mon...

8 comments:

  1. Those cufflinks are fabulous - there's no way I would have given them to my other half. I'd be finding some way to wear them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I died a little when I saw them. Luckily he appreciates them almost as much as me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, they are great buys indeed. I totally understand about not being able to wait until birthdays. If I buy a good gift, I want to see their reaction NOW darnit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad someone else is like me, Little Miss Moi - so impatient when I've found the perfect pressie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. can you hear me sqealing all the way in melbourne!! oh, my!!!
    i wouldn't wait till tomorrow, let alone May.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that cake stand! I reminds me so much of something my awesome grandma would have!

    Thanks for the smile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to have to visit op shops more often if this is the sort of treasure you can find. Great finds indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Cathie - I'm amazed our squeals didn't meet up midweek {Holbrook is it?} and merge!

    AFANM - I keep walking past and smiling at them - so pretty. And my house is positively Nana-chic!

    Kakka - it's an art, but wow, when you find a goodie it's sooooo worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x