Friday, February 19, 2010

brain train

A few months ago I was researching a story on keeping your brain young. One of the leading researchers in the field said that one of the best ways to ward off dementia was to learn a language. Apparently, when we learn a new language we engage parts of the brain that have previously lay dormant.

Actually, that's not 'apparently' it's "Damn, parts of my brain that've really remained inactive have been poked, prodded and shocked into action!" Yes, after week three of my French lessons my brain's still spinning. Last week's homework was damned difficult - took me ages - but I did get 100 per cent {yay me!}. This week's lesson? Hellacious. Our teacher expects us to learn something, take it in, and utilise it - but my brain? Not content to work in that way. There are a lot of rules with French words and pronunciation and my single-minded brain likes to work on one thing at a time. If I'm concentrating on how to pronounce symphonie {sah/fo/na} then I'm probably not paying attention to whether the word preceding it is la or le - but I should be - oh yes I should be...

While I got a few "parfait" in my direction last night, I also nearly had a breakdown answering the teacher when she asked me what time it was and I had to answer 6.20. Yes, I was required to remember how to say those numbers in French as well as how to say that it was twenty past... So hard, I nearly cried, and I did eventually get it right - after making everyone else in the class sigh in relief that they'd have to do better than me.

But, while it's hard, it's also utterly fabulous. My pronunciation is really rocketing and my understanding is already massively improved. I feel more than confident that when we're in France next year I'll be able to converse and understand native French speakers.

Parfait!

4 comments:

  1. I was forced to take French at school so I went out of my way to avoid being good at it. Luck for me it's never too late to learn a language. I'm impressed you are doing sk well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Riana- right back at you!

    Vicki, I also studied it at school - but unfortunately loathed my teacher so learned next to nothing! Now, woah...

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so ridiculously gorgeous and just seems to get prettier as the years go by!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x