Monday, January 11, 2010

happy mondays



Well I don't know about you, but my weekend flew by - even though I started in on Friday! Coming down with a lurgy on Saturday didn't help - it made me spend all day yesterday lolling on the couch {although I did catch up on mucho Jamie and Giada at home}.

Cake was baked: Nigella's sour cream and chocolate and, I beg of you, if you're a fan of chocolate cake, please bake this one. It seems so thick and non-liquid pouring it into the tin, but the texture and taste is exquisite. Oh, and in the KitchenAid - super easy.

Last night I was feeling up to eating, but not cooking, so as a dear friend had my gal for a sleepover hubby and I went pub-hunting for dinner. We ended up going to the newly refurbished Delany Hotel in Darby Street. Oh my.

Duck-fiend husband had confit duck, green beens, caramelised pear and potato dauphinous. To-die-for. He thinks it may have been one of the tastiest ducks he's eaten {and considering that he and a friend have been doing 'a duck lunch tour of Newcastle' for a few months now, that's a call}. I had a gorgeous hunk of steak, perfectly-dressed salad and frites. Oh, and did I mention the bernaise sauce? Oh yeah. We came home and polished off a piece of my leftover cake for pudding. Yum.

After two scorchers the sky's grey and is threatening rain - which is fine, I'm up with all my washing. I'm also sitting glued at my desk, frantically calling around to find interview subjects for a very difficult story I'm working on. If I can do this one, I can do anything.

Enjoy your monday!

11 comments:

  1. Good luck with finding interview subjects. And it is nice that it doesn't seem so hot today...even though this is my indoors day. sigh. I wish the weather was in my control

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it just me or is Giada at home soothing and comforting. I go into some sort of coma when I watch it...I think it's her voice or SOMETHING but the lady puts me in a trance! If only my children thought the same! Will do the cake for sure...sounds delish! Good luck with work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching Giada too!

    That cake sounds divine <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Clarissa - and yes, wouldn't it be nice to have a weather wand!

    Beth, Giada is very soothing, particularly when interspersed with shots of her recent Paris holiday. Sigh......... But I do love her - and all her very white teeth!

    Ally, it was, oh, it was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh - Bernaise sauce is one of my favourite flavours in the whole world. Good luck with the interview subject hunting - yes, you CAN do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weekend def did fly by! They really need to be one day longer! Your hubby has good taste, I too love duck and if it's on a menu I will get it for sure.
    Good luck finding an interview subject!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have I ever mentioned tht Boy 1's Godmother lives just up the hill at Merewether Heights? And that I grew up just up the coast? Newcastle was the stomping ground of my youth and I actually met Big Boy at a wedding there.

    So when you post about Newcastle I *know* exactly what you are talking about! Can even visualise most places...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kellyansapansa - it's mine too. Am determine to master it without it splitting! I love tarragon and eshallots. Mmmmm.
    Mrs P - all three of us love duck, we're a completely duck-loving family. But last night the bernaise won me over...
    Wow, Madmother, that's amazing. Teeny, tiny little world isn't it? How exciting!

    Oh, and girls, haven't tried to find my 'difficult' interview subjects - but have lined up a number of easy ones! Going to do it now - and call, and call, and call till I find one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. PPMJ I have been known to be "difficult" so if you need to interview me I am happy to oblige. I am nothing, if not generous and *ahem* difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hilarious Beth, you left out hilarious.

    Found the subject - fingers crossed the interview will go off smoothly...

    ReplyDelete
  11. My god, you're making me salivate here!

    I've just started watching Glee and I'm not all that sure about it - does it grow on you as the series goes on?

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x