Thursday, January 28, 2010

edge of normality

Back to school today and how blissful that is. I've loved the school holidays, but am so thankful to return to reality. I like having my days laid out in an orderly manner.

One very excited child packed her bag for school this morning. I was tres organised and had servings of home-made pikelets ready to go in the freezer {we made Nigella's american breakfast pancakes on Tuesday and with the leftovers I made a week's worth of pikelets - too easy} and last night I made a batch of mini quiches {potato and chorizo - as per my gal's request}. When the requisite first day of hairstyle was done {high plaits were called for "as neat as school photo day" was the request} one shiny shoed and beaming gal trotted off to school.

Bless.

So I've got a story to work on, a desktop on my computer to clean up and coffee to be consumed. Tonight we're having panko/gremolata crumbed pork cutlets for dinner and I'm already salivating. They're dead easy - chop flat-leaf parsley, the zest of one lemon and a garlic clove or two together to make gremolata and then mix that with equal parts of panko breadcrumbs. Dip pork cutlets {smooshed with a meat mallet - or rolling pin in my case - so they're thin enough to cook through evenly} in beaten egg that's been seasoned with salt and pepper then press the panko gremolata mix into them evenly. Shallow fry in olive oil and butter mix until golden brown {finish off in a 180 degree oven for five mins if you're not sure about their doneness}. Serve to a fawning audience with a red cabbage and almond coleslaw {yoghurt, garlic and lemon dressing - yum}.

10 comments:

  1. That sounds delish, I'll have to give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure is Frannie - even my husband and daughter who aren't huge pork lovers adore it. it'd also work well with lamb or veal cutlets actually. And the salad... mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At last I have the panko secret! Thank you will be getting onto this pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha Beth, actually it's on the blog elsewhere - just no idea where it is! {must have been before your time!} Enjoy, it's so good you may weep. My bangalow pork cutlets are achingly good cooked in this way - oh, and i cut the rind off to make an individual serve of crackling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tee hee Corinne - I think I'm nearly old enough to be...

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds yummy....pork, please...anytime:) thanks for the recipe, I'll definitely try it xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so easy Oana - and so damned delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x