Wednesday, April 28, 2010

wacky and wonderful

You know who I love? Juliette Lewis {obviously, you know, with the image I've posted and all}. But see, I always forget that I love her until I discover her afresh. On Sunday, because I was angry with myself for having a migraine and missing the Roller Derby bout, I watched Whip It - the Drew Barrymore directed film that included plenty of roller derby - and not enough Juliette Lewis. Although her semi-limited screen time was understandable because she was just so freaking awesome that anyone else who appeared alongside her tended to just fade away. And then, for the next five minutes I'd sit there thinking, "Man, is that Juliette Lewis awesome. How can I forget that I love her" and realise that I'd missed a crucial plot point {although not the underwater love scene - that was COOL}.

There's nothing better than rediscovering lost loves. Because my short-term memory is somewhat porous, I tend to find things anew quite regularly. And it's a joyful experience. Like lemons, I know I love lemons, but still, every time I taste one I'm suffused with joy. I truly believe there is nothing that is not improved without the addition of lemons. This morning I nearly ruined my keyboard reading about lemon, thyme and honey tarts at baked uprising. I can't imagine a better conclusion to an autumnal meal of meatballs {which, unsurprisingly, is on the menu at our house tonight - veal meatballs with orange zest and made with day-old bread soaked in milk simmered in a rich tomato sauce}. My dad and step-mother have trekked down from Queensland and are arriving sometime later today - so I can't get over to the III Bean meatball night in Hamilton - I'll just have to create it here.

Okay, I'm off for a quick walk to the beach. I drove past this morning when dropping the car off for a service and it's spectacularly beautiful. Enjoy your day - what've you got planned?

5 comments:

  1. I have a friend who looks just like Juliette Lewis ♥

    Enjoy your beach walk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about how to describe rediscovering loves. 'Suffuse with joy' is good. I feel that way about swimming at the beach, cooking a new recipe....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Ally - your lucky friend!

    Siobhan, it's the one benefit of a poor short-term memory. Ahh, swimming at the beach - that first dive under the wave is utterly magical isn't it? And this new recipe I'm making is bringing me joy - the rye bread's soaking in milk for the meatballs and the tomato sauce is now simmering gently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definately wacky and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x