Wednesday, April 14, 2010

opening our options

On our first overseas trip, nearly 12-years-ago, the internet was in its infancy. When we planned our UK and Parisian visits we relied on guidebooks, info from the British Tourist Authrority and Bill Bryson {who introduced us to Durham, such an exquisite town, and for that I'm forever in his debt}.

Last time we went, in 2006, my husband used the internet to book us an amazing chateau in the south west of France that we shared with friends, beautiful apartments in Paris and Venice and an exquisite farmhouse on a vineyard in Tuscany. We checked out guidebooks, but only as confirmation. Travelogues about holidays or a new life in France or Italy were relied upon to help us find something amazing - but it was generally on-line that most of our research took place.

This time I'm finding more sources for our trip next year. I follow Matt Preston on Twitter and last night he called for people's fave dining experiences in Paris and my two must-visit eateries featured. Le Train Bleu is pictured above, and seriously, who would care about the food in surroundings such as these? Perfection. Our Michelin-starred choice was also praised by Matt's followers. Le Tour Argent is an institution in Paris - with a view over Notre Dame and it's famous for its duck. Thanks gourmet twitterati - I'll be making a booking as soon as we've set our dates.

7 comments:

  1. THe photo looks fantastic - it is always nice to eat somewhere picturesque

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree - if a restaurant or cafe doesn't have good atmosphere I'll head somewhere else - might as well tantastise all the senses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh lordy! I almost can't look at this picture, it is almost too much. How am I supposed to concentrate today now? Huh?

    ps. you know you are going to have to keep posting your plans so I can copy your impeccable taste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jen, as if you could shut me up about my plans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. god bless the internet. and food of course, great, very special food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how we coped before!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful place, I would almost be too scare to eat there in case I dropped my fork or something. Enjoy when you get back to Paris.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x