Friday, April 16, 2010

c'mon get happy

I've been blessed to meet some really interesting people thanks to my line of work. Whenever I write an article I always need to speak to at least two experts to add weight to my argument and while I have to vary the people used, because I've been doing this for so long, and because I write for a few different publications, I can speak to some people more than once.

Some people give great interview. They're obviously enthusiastic about what they do and immerse themselves in the latest research on the topic. When they are interviewed they're keen to infuse others with their enthusiasm. These people make my life so much easier.

One of these people is Dr Happy - Dr Tim Sharp from the Happiness Institute. He's an amazing person. He loves what he does, loves it, and if you can walk away from a chat with him without feeling enthusiastic, optimistic and full of joy - well, obviously you're dead {sorry, caught a snippet of Weekend at Bernie's last night - tee hee}.

Over the years I realised that I've been following the advice of these amazing people. It's made me feel pretty chuffed that I am, really, quite a happy person. I have my down days, but as even Dr Happy would say, we need these to balance out the good. We have to recognise happiness - sometimes by contrasting it with sadness. Perhaps that's why I'm such a sook. I'll tear up at anything, commercials, photographs, blog posts - it's probably my way of balancing out the happiness. An even, uneventful life with no peaks or troughs would be dead-dull. But a life where there are giggles and guffaws and lots of smiling at strangers is a life well-lived.

What are you going to do today to make yourself happy? Me? I'm taking my gal to have her plaster removed which will make her ecstatic {and me too!} I'm making a tart au citron for pudding for tonight's dinner with friends and I'm cooking up Julia Child's Beef Bourguinon for tomorrow night's dinner {so it's got an extra day for the flavour to infuse - although it's so delicious maybe all our tastebuds will die and go to heaven..}

Enjoy your day!

10 comments:

  1. What a great post!

    I'm catching up with a good friend (my twin from another life) this morning who always makes me smile.

    I'm having takeaway with the family tonight.

    Skip doesn't have to work tomorrow so we may make a dash to Orange for the weekend.

    Plenty to smile about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurrah - sounds utterly fabulous. I haven't been to Orange for well over 12 years would love to go back again. Tell me all about it if you go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great day you have lined up! Haven't tried JC's BB yet, but clearly I need to do that. I also love interviewing people and Dr Tim is awesome. The best part of this job is all the stuff you learn along the way. Now if only my memory wasn't sieve-like and I could actually remember some of it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh JC's BB is worth the effort, so worth the effort. Love Dr Tim! And oh, the sieve-like memory...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect image for a great post. Annnnd it fits perfectly in Orange Friday. How did you know..? Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having just a little trouble being happy at the mo. But looks like sunshine here today, which will lift my spirits and then swimming this afternoon will soothe my soul. Of course being invited to your place for dinner would be nice too - all that food sounds so yummy. Enjoy, and have the greatest weekend. So happy your daughter is having her cast off today. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Melissa - great minds and all...

    Kakka - sending love to you. Hope the sunshine comes through to you x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I've never read your blog before, so you were perfect for my to use in the Blogthis challenge for this week. I'm very glad that I did too! I've enjoyed reading through your blog very much and I'd be pretty surprised if I didn't continue to do so in the future. I hope that the things I've said about you in my post are only true and nice, but feel free to correct any gross factual errors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm. Tired day here, but am having a dear friend and her kids here for pizza and wine tonight, and just decided to do a post for a friend too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh bless your socks Tab - that's so sweet - thank you! I"ll have to pop over and check your blog out!

    Madmother, friends, pizza and wine sound like the perfect combination. Enjoyx

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x