Thursday, April 08, 2010

two more sleeps

It's my school reunion Saturday night and the anticipation is nearly killing me. I haven't seen virtually anyone from high school in well over 20 years, longer if I'm really honest. I'm a bit concerned that there will be people that I just don't remember or recognise - there are already a few of those on Facebook. I need a Brody's Notes on classmates!

I've got my outfit sorted - my fave lil' black dress with lots of beads draped around my neck and my highest black patent mary janes. My skunk-line's disappeared thanks to yesterday's hair dying efforts - so fingers crossed that my hair will behave on the night.

I'm genuinely excited and curious to see people and what they've achieved. I can guarantee you that every single one of them has achieved more than any teacher at that school ever believed {very negative people who had no concept of building self-esteem - only shredding it}. I know that plenty of people were like me, left in year 10 after being told their was no point in continuing and then going back to continue their education in their early 20s. I studied my HSC at Tafe when I was 22 and was nurtured by the most exquisite English teacher, Mrs Shirley Smith, who told me I had a talent for writing and suggested I apply to uni and undertake a Communications degree.

More than 20 years later I have an honours degree in communications and now spend my days being paid for writing - bliss. But without this amazing woman I'm not sure whether I would have found this path - I may have been teaching English instead - but nurturing delicate self-esteems and helping children realise their full potential. Gee, no wonder we spent so much time choosing our daughter's school...

8 comments:

  1. How awesome is Miss Shirley Smith!!!

    Have fun at your reunion, my 10yr one was last year, amazing how you just pick up where you left off. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. One good teacher can make all the difference, can't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a Ms Shirley..! How very Anne of Green Gables of you, very exciting. Enjoy you reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I attended my 20 year school reunion last year (yes am feeling very old as I type this!). I attended an all girls private school, enough said. I have no plans to attend another school reunion again, at least in this lifetime of mine. 20 years later, there was still a very obvious division of groups, particularly amongst what was the 'in' group. All the girls stuck very close to their mates and there was too much of the old checking each other out.
    Hope your night is so much more fun than mine was! You're going to look fab in your outfit!
    Thank goodness Miss Smith came into your life :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness indeed for Miss Smith. Without her we would have no PPMJ and that would just not do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to hear how it all goes. You'll look fab and, I'm sure, have fun no matter what. I went to a 15 year reunion, um, a while ago, and it was more fun than I could have imagined...

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3 cheers for Miss Shirley Smith - what an awesome teacher to come across.

    I have never had the courage to go to a school reunion - so I hope you have the greatest of times. Love to see a pic of you in your LBD and heels. sss

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, exciting! Personally, I wouldn't go to a High School reunion if you PAID ME, but when you are fabulous & successful like yourself I'm sure it will be a blast!
    Yes, sadly miserable teachers have noidea how much power & influence they have in young impressionable lives.
    I won awards for art & music all through school, until I got to Year 9 & had teachers who told me how rubbish I was & I quit both, just like that.
    It makes me so mad, like you I'm going to be so careful with our kids at school. NOBODY is going to make decisions for them about what they are or are not capable of!
    Have a great night tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x