Sunday, April 04, 2010

eat your greens

I'm determined to make more use of the array of vegies available to me. At the market today I bought three beautiful bunches of baby asparagus, some baby leeks and some english spinach - all for $10. For dinner tonight I bought a Greek marinated butterflied leg of saltbush lamb which is going straight onto the bbq. With the leeks, I've been inspired by watching Jamie at Home last night. I love that man.

He sliced leeks and set them to saute in some olive oil, before pouring on 1/2 cup of white wine. Then he covered the leeks in the frypan with a 'cartouche' of panchetta to stop the steam escaping and to infuse the leeks with the flavour of the ham. After around thirty minutes, he took off the crispy pancetta to reveal the softly caramelised leeks below. He then chopped up the pancetta and spread it through the leeks. Now, he tossed this through tagliatelle which was then topped with breadcrumbs blitzed with porcini mushrooms {salivating} but I think this will make the perfect green accompaniment when served with roasted potkin pumpkin and my lamb. No?

9 comments:

  1. OUI! Sounds perfect. I can smell my racks of lamb in the oven now...topped with a rosemary, salt and garlic crust and the trad roasted vegies. Glass o' bubbles in hand and I am one happy lady. Happy Easter to your lovely little fam x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo! I only have a double shot of coffee in my hand - the bubbles sound better! Have a lovely easter my lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love going to food markets and then making tasty dishes out of the produce. Sigh...I have been eating fresh bread this morning which my mum cooked. I love bread makers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, fresh bread's on our to-do list for the school holidays. Cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it too late for me to come to dinner?? Yummo indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan and Kakka - I'm a bit beside myself at the amazing scents that are wafting my way from the kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who said one needs to dine out for a good meal? Sounds delicious, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x