Friday, November 06, 2009

tis the season

Regular readers will know that I love me an event. Halloween, Easter, birthdays... love 'em all. However, a truly special place in my heart is reserved for Christmas where I get a whole month to plot, plan and party.

Traditions? We're full of 'em. First of all the tree goes up on December 1 - not a day earlier or later. We decorate it together while playing cheesy christmas carols on the iPod.

Then we'll pop up the lights on the verandas, and in the windows - along with the Santa, please stop here sign in the garden.

Next on the agenda is a visit to Santa at David Jones: where my brother and I sat on Santa's knee eight million years ago.

On the weekends we'll drive around to the suburbs that have christmas lights and ooh and ahh at all the displays. Luckily there's enough variety in Newcastle to visit one location per weekend in the lead-up {obsessive? moi?}

Christmas eve we make our annual pilgrimage to church {usually the Civic Theatre in the city} where we meet friends and sit together to enjoy the show put on my the local high school kids. Then we go to my in-laws where all the family catch-up for supper and the massive Christmas Eve sleepover {my husband's one of five - all kids now have kids, some of whom also have kids... it's gigantic}.

Our daughter's bedtime book on this night is always The Night Before Christmas, and before tucking her in she leaves out cookies and milk for Santa, and carrots out the front for the reindeers.

We'll usually wake at dawn to excited children saying "Santa's Been" as the sacks that had been laid out the night before are now stuffed with toys and gifts.

Lunch is always a traditional roast cooked by my gorgeous mother-in-law, with everyone chipping in with vegies, serving or washing up. Finger's crossed for lovely weather this year so that once the massive meal's gone down we can sink into the pool and relax.

Then, five days later it's our gorgeous gal's birthday. We've always made sure that it's special and separate to Christmas - although she's pretty chuffed that her birthday month is punctuated with lights, celebrations and fireworks on New Year's Eve.

Hope you have yourself a merry little Christmas... x

5 comments:

  1. I love Christmas too. Gotta love those traditions. One of my fav things about Christmas is the lights! I am obsessed with Christmas lights and plan out every year what I'm going to put up and try to get more each year! I have finally got Mr.P to get in the spirit and help me out with lights too. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i forgot to write about the tree and decorations in my post! I love love love listening to caroles while putting up the tree too! I love that you have created traditions with yur daughter i cant wait till i have a family to do that with =) lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas is by far my favorite holiday. The lights, the music...this will be the first year EVER that I've spent it away from home.

    Taking The Kid to Disney for Christmas with the 'rents. I should be an awesome time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We keep our traditions too! I love the holidays, every single one of them! Not much beats the magic of this time of year though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, and I thought I was the original child who never grew up - you girls sound just like me! Squeeeee!

    Christmas lights are the best Mrs P. And yep, Rinniez, I adore creating family traditions and our gal loves it too. It's such a lovely thing to do with your family.

    Frannie, Disneyland? Are you freakin' serious? How AMAZING will that be? Enjoy x

    Sara Rose, I'd love to see what you've got planned for the season- my tastebuds are tingling in anticipation x

    It is a magical time isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x