Sunday, November 01, 2009

blood and guts trifle

Well, the blood and guts trifle for the halloween party was pretty yummy, so I thought I'd share the recipe.

First of all I poached about 8 halved white nectarines {skin on, seeds intact} in a sugar syrup with rose syrup added {no measurements here, I just covered the nectarines with water in the frying pan, added about 1/4 cup of sugar and then a good slurp of Molin rose syrup}. I poached them for ten minutes skin side down, and then turned them over.

When I took them out the skin peeled away beautifully and the seeds popped out. I then added some vodka and a vanilla pod to the poaching liquid and reduced it till I had about a cup of thick, jelly-like syrup.

Then I made some vanilla custard {from a packet, next time I'll just buy a carton!} and toasted some flaked almonds.

In a large bowl I added sliced mini jam sponge rolls {I sliced them into 1.5cm slices}, then moistened them with syrup and an extra sloosh of vodka. Then I diced the nectarines, added a layer, then tossed over a handful of crumbled, frozen raspberries {for the blood clot effect}. Then a layer of custard went on, and some toasted almonds. This was repeated and I topped it all with a fat layer of whipped cream. Sprinkled over the top were more crumbled raspberries and toasted almonds. Finally, I drizzled some rose syrup over the top.

Sadly the phone in my battery died before I could take a pic, but it did look rather pretty. I think I'll be making this again, and renaming it the more appealing Raspberry and Nectarine trifle...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x