Friday, November 27, 2009

faded beauty



I don't think we appreciate beauty in all its stages. You know how every year some scientists or somesuch come up with an identikit of The Ideal Man or Woman. And it's this face that's been put together with Johnny Depp's lips, Brad Pitt's eyes, Zac Ephron's hair, Hugh Jackman's forehead... and, well, they just look weird. Not attractive, just odd. Too perfect is odd.

Quirky, and yes, I'm banging on about this again, is gorgeous. But apparently, so few people believe this. Reese Witherspoon is button-cute and one of the reasons why is because of her chin - her heart-shaped face is what makes her so gorgeous. Which is why I'm always so sad when I see it photo-shopped smaller - or, as in her current Avon perfume ads, hidden behind a damned bottle!

Last month's Australian Women's Weekly had one of the first genuinely happy smiles I've seen on a cover because Sarah Murdoch didn't have her smile lines photoshopped off her face. This month's Women's Weekly is photoshopped - but it's a really curvalicious woman that's featured - Julie from MasterChef who is well above the standard size 6 - 8 covermodel. Brava.

So when I was wandering around my garden taking photos of my roses, this caught my eye. These two Tess of the D'Urberville beauties are well-past their namesake's prime - but aren't they glorious? Sure, some of the petals have fallen, the rich red hue has faded - but they're beautiful nonetheless.

Let's look around and appreciate the quirks, the flaws and the differences and rejoice in what they have to offer. What do you see?

4 comments:

  1. My stomach over here is PERFECT for showing the 'differences' and 'flaws'. With stretch marks galore and a whole floppy skin thing going on, I am trying my hardest to see beauty (as it resembles a war zone)...until I remember that it housed a little beauty just a few weeks ago and that's OK.

    Fortunately, for all of you. there will be no photographic evidence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha - but yes, focus on Harper's gorgeous face, that's the way to go. Can't have a baby without the scarred stomach - even Posh said hers is a mess...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often buy tulips from a corner deli that are just closed buds and watch them progress through every stage until every single petal drops... I love it and excitedly announce daily changes to my family. But I never thought to compare this beauty to my own and others. Now, I might remind myself to do just that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly Melissa - I love watching tulips' metamorphosis as well - glorious in all their stages, but particularly when full-blown!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x