Monday, November 23, 2009

harmonious adaptation

I'm never happy after seeing a film adapted from a book. I'm a reader who 'sees' the script play out in my head, so inevitably when I see the characters on the screen I'm disappointed as they look nothing like the cast I'd envisaged. {Tom Cruise in Interview With The Vampire - I'm looking at you}.

Cut to last night's screening of The Time Traveler's Wife. Oh my.

My friend and I both adored the book - and we both adored the film. Such a difficult story to screen and yet they did it so well.

Eric Bana was perfect in his role and I fell in love with him again {can't remember why I'd forgotten about him, but he's quite the brilliant actor and has been with his wife for eight million years - bless}. Rachel McAdams was perfection - she has the most adorably smiley eyes! Now, of course, my friend and I both did a double take and simultaneous "Eeuwww" when "Berger" from SATC came on-screen - but we got over him. Just.

Oh, and the girl who plays young Claire - utterly gorgeous and so insightful for a six-year-old.

Of course I cried, but I did adore this film. Its explorations of love, destiny, friendship and loss had me enthralled.

4 comments:

  1. hmmm. I have read the book and really loved it but have been a bit wary about seeing the movie - I read a bad review of it. So I don't know! Looked like you loved it though1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend not to read film reviews - generally they annoy the crap out of me as they're so obsessed with their importance! But my friend and I {both fusspots} loved this one! And disagreed with a review she'd read that said Eric Bana was stiff {probably just scared about popping up somewhere nude I reckon...}
    Thanks for dropping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, I was hoping someone who'd loved the book would post about the movie. This is my all-time fav book and I ahvebeen tossing up whether or not I wanted to see this and potentially ruin the book for myself. Everything I'm hearing is pointing me towards seeing it so I think I may just have to bite the bullet and go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Mrs P, I'm a real book-lover - and that was one of my faves. I too was hesitant, but I really enjoyed it. It's not a faithful adaptation - no film can be - but it was just lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x