Tuesday, November 17, 2009

pink perfection

My peonies are just starting to open. I've got them on my desk and they're to be my oasis of calm today. I've been up since 6.30am - unusual for me. But we've been waiting on a delivery of pavers since Friday and he called last night to tell me he'd be here at 6.30/7am. A shocker of a time but as I have to have the pavers delivered down on the road and then carry them all, one-by-one up seven stairs to the footpath, then up two more stairs into my front gate I thought this was a sensible option.

Except he's still not here at 8.12am.

Grrrrr.

My husband's in Sydney on a training course for a few days so he can't help me and my smoothly organised day, which requires precision timing isn't looking so hot.

I've got my bestie coming up for a few days so we can have a working bee - she in the living room on her laptop and me in the study on my computer. She's got a book to finish off, I just have my usual run of work.

Tonight she's babysitting my gal as I'm off to a friend's school to listen to a presentation by The Butterfly Foundation about raising girls. I love the work these people do and hope I can come away with some more insight.

I'm diligent about raising a daughter with self confidence - and body confidence. One who'll make sensible food choices to nourish her body and soul and one who won't start on the destructive diet path {like I did at 11}. I'm proud to say that I've never made a negative comment about my body in her presence - I think it's important for a girl to see her mother as happy and confident in her skin. Last night she came and watched me play netball and get all red and sweaty {it must have been 40 degrees in that indoor sport shed!} and laugh along with all the girls in my team. We encourage her to play sport, to dance and to nurture her love of reading and art.

She's my peony that girl, and I'm going to continue to love watching her grow.

3 comments:

  1. Perfection! Both the peonies AND the positive attitude you have towards making your little lass grow up self confident and happy. I so want that for my gals, to feel good in their own skin and not have to worry about image and all that blah...pass on any tips you learn won't you? Hope you have a fab day x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do! I think it's vital for girls, specially these days with all the airbrushing, uber-skinny models {often digitally so} etc.

    you have a lovely day too x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I totally agree with you on this. I get so frustrated with the fact that the women we are meant to emulate are so obviously unhealthy. I saw a fashion parade and shoot happening last week and the models were all so withdrawn, painfully (generally unnaturally) thin, so tired looking until they had to do the show, then they seemed to use all their energy to look perky, and then it was back to being exhausted looking. Beautiful? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x