Wednesday, November 25, 2009

hip, hip, hooray

Sigh.

There's debate raging on the internet about this covershot of Demi Moore. An unnaturally beautiful woman, obviously. However, the call is out that part of her hip's been chopped off - to which, Demi, on twitter responded: "Here is the original image people, my hips were not touched don't let those people bulls**t you".

And I agree - her hips haven't been touched... as for the model whose body was photoshopped to include Demi's head...

Wow. It's one thing to deny that you've had surgery when you had half rockmelon's strapped to your chest in Striptease, but c'mon - why participate in a charade that doesn't allow that your body is enough for a cover?

I don't begrudge Demi the surgery, I begrudge her the participation in the charade.

I know that people such as Demi don't sign up to be role models, but as soon as they're in the spotlight that's what they become. In fact, one of the reasons I quit reading Perez Hilton earlier this year was because of the utterly appalling things he wrote about two of Demi's daughters. I don't want to participate in that.

The amount of surgery that women in Hollywood feel compelled to undergo to stay relevant saddens me - but, must say, if I was seeing pap shots of myself every day chances are I'd be first in line at the surgeon's office. And they're still getting hired - check out Meg Ryan - she's in a new role despite what she's done to her face {ps, that film, looks kinda hilarious...}

My issue isn't with the surgery, although personally I feel that beauty needs a little quirk to really work. My problem is that frozen faces detract from an actor being able to perform a role - with acting it's all about the face.

Undoubtedly the saddest thing about controversies such as these is how they bring out the worst in so many women. Over at the forums on MamaMia vitriol and attacks have spewed forth and it's just so disheartening. It's like the endless working mum vs stay-at-home mum vs non-parents attacks. We're all different, let's just build a bridge and get over it.

Vive la difference...

7 comments:

  1. Totally agree. Demi looks gorgeous...I could not care less if she has or hasn't had work done (your boobs, hello?) Quit lying about it. You too Nicole Kidman (wearing a hat does not make your lips bigger, idiot).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally. Whatever work she's had done looks amazing - she still looks like herself - unlike Nicole, Meg and a few others... But yes, be like Kylie and admit you've dabbled in what the surgeon has to offer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that she's looking good but this cover confuses me a little in that she doesn't look like Demi Moore any more (heh heh). Maybe it's just me but if I'd looked at this cover without any other info then I probably would have puzzled over whether it was her or not. (The face - it seems long and thin?)

    The hip thing though is just ridiculous, as is the constant denial she's had any work done. As Alex said "Quit lying about it."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree, no problem with plastic surgery, just the lying about it. Her hip does look super weird in that picture, must be the angle she is standing on.
    On the Mama Mia front, I hardly ever comment anymore, you can't have an opinion on something without being attacked for it. Not worth my time. Plus the website has so much stuff on it now that it takes an age for my computer to load it and sounds like it's going to take-off the noise it makes! Do you have that problem or is just me and my shitty computer (although it happens on the laptop too which is not shitty...hmm)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Reilly, her face is much, much, much thinner than it used to be {lots of shading and shadowing in this shot - but still - thin}.

    Mrs P, I do believe it's the angle too. And so with you on commenting on MM - I hardly ever do it - except yesterday when I couldn't resist posting the link to the catwalk model whose body they used in this shot! I loathe how so many commenters twist your words in order to attack. Mine loads pretty quickly, but I can have issues with it - doesn't stop me from checking it out, but the vitriol prevents me from commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said PPMJ - too true! There can be a lot of negativity on Mamamia ... I wish people would chill a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PTT - I know - can you imagine trying to have a conversation with these people? I stay away from negative people in my real life, I don't want them haunting me on-line.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x