Monday, March 30, 2009

pudding perfection

See this? It's pudding perfection. On Sunday we invited my hubby's sister and husband for lunch and I thought I'd make a bread and butter pudding - with croissants. Oh. My. God. Now, some of my puds have received acclaim - this received the equivalent of a 10 minute standing ovation - and it was dead-easy.

Slice up four to five butter croissants and spread them with jam - I used rhubarb spread and smoosh them into a buttered pie dish. Then mix together 3 tablespoons of caster sugar with three eggs and then add 300ml of pouring cream and 200 ml of milk. Mix until well combined and pour over the top of the croissants. Then {and here's the really yummy bit} drizzle the top with a tablespoon of golden syrup. Bake in a 180 degree oven till the top is golden and the custard is thickened - around 25 minutes. Cover it with foil if the top is browning too quickly. Serve with a dollop of vanilla icecream and bask in glory with words such as "Best pudding I've ever eaten in my life" ringing in your ears.

4 comments:

  1. I have a stupid totally American question- is golden syrup basically corn syrup or light molasses? I may have to make this and I think I'll grate nutmeg over the top too! For the jam, I'm not a huge fan of rhubarb but may choose lingonberry or blackberry. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess golden syrup is similar to those - except it's like, totally the nectar of the gods and quite possibly the most delicious sugar by-product ever! Any jam would work well, your two sound lovely - I needed something tart to balance the sweetness. I was meant to sprinkle cinnamon on mine but my pantry was bare - time to shop!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm . . . I think I'll just look at the grocer and at a few shops to see if I can't find actual golden syrup. Otherwise, perhaps I could use honey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently Wholefoods stocks it in the US - do you have one of those in Satan's Armpit?

    Golden syrup also makes the BEST caramel dumplings.... oh, my, hungry already. Oh, and golden syrup, with butter, on thick toast? To die...

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x