Wednesday, March 18, 2009

oh my guinness

It's a stew night tonight, and one day late, we're having beef and guinness stew. It's a long, busy day today, so I'm going to bring out the slow cooker - and adapt my recipe to suit. According to my Margaret Fulton Crockpot Cookbook virtually anything can be cooked in a crockpot - you just need to adjust the liquid levels as it won't evaporate while cooking. So my recipe calls for 1 cup of guinness and 2 cups of beef stock... Margaret reckons that one cup is enough liquid... Hmmmm. Do I go half a cup of guinness and half of beef stock? What do I do with the leftover guinness? Freeze it perhaps? Or, do I double my recipe so there's more meat and then freeze the leftovers? That'd be the sensible idea wouldn't it? Oh, and thrifty too!

2 comments:

  1. http://www.ehow.com/how_2324013_bake-best-chocolate-beer-cakeever.html

    http://www.relishmag.com/recipes/view/21215/irish-potato-soup-cheese-red.html

    I used Guinness in both of these recipes and they turned out SENSATIONAL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really must come and visit you one day - your cooking stories are swoon-worthy!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x