Tuesday, March 24, 2009

ain't life grand

When I was growing up I was lucky to have all four of my grandparents living. Actually, until I was 10 I also had great grandparents - three of them. And I saw plenty of them, which is one of the best memories I have of childhood. Every week my mum would visit her mum, my nana, and then we'd drive out to my great grandparents' house for lunch. They had the best garden, which is where my love for gardening began. You'd walk out the back and then through a gate into the secret garden, a glorious area framed by hedges and filled with flowering shrubs and rich green grass. My brother and I would play out the back before coming in for lunch. I remember always being amazed at how little my great grandmother would eat - one lamb cutlet, a spoonful of mashed potato {it seemed like a teaspoon-ful} and a little of a green veg. After lunch my great grandfather would lie in their teeny little sun-filled porch, on the floor, and have a nap. Then he'd wake up and give us a lolly from his secret stash.

We'd also spend time visiting my dad's parents. Every morning my dad would get up early and walk down the road {about a kilometre or so} to have breakfast with his mum and dad. Grandma would make fresh juice, and then serve up eggs. If we got up early enough, we could go too. I loved Grandma's poached eggs on toast with vegemite - yum. When I was really young my grandfather would get up at six, walk down the the lake in front of their house, dive in and swim for a mile. Every day. Every season. Even though he'd had a serious motor bike accident in his late teens, and had a seriously bunged-up leg, he still swam every day. It kept his body moving, and his mind active. My grandfather taught me a lot that I'm still putting into action.

That's why I'm glad that my husband's parents live nearby. I try whenever possible to involve them in my daughter's life, particularly as my parents live on opposite ends of Australia {North Queensland and Melbourne!}. At least when my parents come to visit they spend a few days to a week here, so it's a nice, intensive visit. Thinking back on my childhood has made me determined to make even more of an effort to spend extra time with Matt's mum and dad when they get back from their UK holiday. It's those simple things that create such special childhood moments and I want to do my best to ensure that my daughter's childhood memories are filled with magical moments.

1 comment:

  1. I'd love for Eva to see my parents more often. As it is, they live 6 hours away, so we see each other probably 3 times a year. We used to see Nolan's parents who live two hours away and his grandmother at least once or twice a month. They usually would have Eva out to their farm once a month for a weekend. But life intervened and unfortunately we are estranged from Nolan's parents, probably forever. It makes me sad.

    In my little perfect world, I had always seen things differently than that. I really wanted a marriage that created a new family- that comprised of my parents, his parents, and our little nuclear family. I wanted us to merge. Thats too bad that it never happened. Being only children both of us, it gets hard because we sort of are finding our way in the world alone- without my parents because they are so far away, and without his because sadly, there are somethings that are unreparable. I feel the worst for Nolan, he is adopted, and I know he feels the loss acutely at times.

    I hope that we can maintain a good relationship with our children as they become adults. I treasure the friendship I have with my ma, now that we're both women. I respect her as a peer and I know she does of me too. i love my step dad a lot. I do love Nolan's grandmother, but she has her alliances clearly drawn, and that is understandable. But sometimes family is what you find too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x