Tuesday, March 31, 2009

day of judgement

Generally I couldn't give a toss what others think. Catch me on a good day and I'll simply raise an eyebrow, shrug my shoulders and not even give judgement a second thought. But this week, a few events have conspired to make me realise how judgy judgy so many women are. The whole working mum v stay-at-home mum raises vitriol and now it appears there's a new round - domestic goddesses v domestic drudges.

Obviously, if you've read a post or two on this blog, you'll know that I lurve cooking. Adore it. I enjoy cooking for my family and for my friends. It doesn't define me, but it makes me feel pretty bloody good. Sure, I work full-time {from home} but I also like to do the odd housekeepy thing. I like a nice clean sheet on a bed. I don't usually get around to making said bed until just before I climb into it again, but hey, freshly made beds every morning aren't my priority. That said, I don't judge women {or men!} for whom they are. If you leap out of bed, smoothing sheets and doonas before your feet touch the floor good for you. 

Now, how's this for a domestic moment? Last week I went to a Tupperware party {I know!} and one of the friends of the hostess brought along a lovely tray of nibbles. Delicious they were. Looked gorgeous, tasted sumptuous. I dug in wholeheartedly. However, another woman had to say, "Oh, how on earth does she find the time to make something like that?" Um, she prioritised that's how. Yes, turning up at a house with a tray of nibbles at 7pm is impressive - and laudable, not derisible.  If you're one of those people who can't do it - fine - I'm not going to judge you. If you are, again, woo hoo - no judging here.

Let's all stop, appreciate what others have done, and unless it somehow negatively impacts upon us {and not in a egotistical, jealous manner} let's just allow others to do what it takes to make themselves happy - and continue on our merry way.

1 comment:

  1. Being female is the pits sometimes. It's a daily comparison game, it's no wonder we all over eat from stress and freak out over the minor things. I'm guilty of mentally comparing myself to others far too much for my own good. I try NEVER to be snarky to a person though and I think it's amazing that women just looooove taking shots at each other for adding their own special flair or creativity to things. I get called "Martha" or "Suzy Homemaker" alot and it's rather annoying. My home is my castle, I say, better believe I want to keep it lovely to live in and that I fill my belly with good things to eat. Food = love in my book and I always try to take the time to bring something special with me if I'm bringing a dish. I don't take shots at women who only bring a bag of chips or cookies, so why vice versa?

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x