Wednesday, March 18, 2009

life lessons

As I mentioned yesterday, we're in frugal mode. Yep, lock down those purses, put away the credit card and scrimp and save every penny. Luckily for us it's out of want, not need. Having finally renovated the backyard after seven years of living with a useless eyesore the red side of our bank balance is exceeding the black. So we're tightening the budgetary belts to help pay it off.

The best part of it is, that it's a really good opportunity to teach our daughter some financial skills. She's only nine, so the lessons are small, and never preachy, but I think you can never learn financial nous too early. When I was young I always learned to save for what I bought, and with the exception of our house, and renovation, I've stuck with it. If we don't have the money, we put off the purchase - unless it's an emergency like a hot water service {two years ago} which is when we dive into the emergency reserve.

So, about my child... At the moment we're reading Milly Molly Mandy, the most delightful girls stories on the planet. Milly Molly Mandy lives with her mother, father, uncle, aunty, grandma and grandpa in a white thatched cottage, and in last night's bedtime story, finally got a bedroom of her own in the loft. They painted the walls pale primrose, died some old curtains and her coverlet green, grandpa came home with an old dresser {again, which they painted green} and aunty and uncle donated their old mirror. Milly Molly Mandy was delighted! Now, none of this stuff was new or purpose made, it was all adapted, or they made do. In Annabella's room she has a wardrobe, painted white, that's been in my husband's family for decades. Her dresser is an old 60s chest of drawers, painted white with new glass handles and her desk, used to be her aunts when she was a lass. Her sheets and doonas are new, but she knows that these things are all perfectly serviceable - we just needed to tweak them to suit her.

When it comes to shopping she helps me spot the items on sale and we'll often refrain from buying something as it's too expensive, or we can't afford it. Kids need to know that instant gratification isn't sustainable, or even desirable. When I went to Uni I wanted to buy a second hand computer so I borrowed $1000 from my grandfather and paid him back, with interest, in twelve months. Sure, he could have waived that interest, but he was teaching me a lesson - if you borrow money it always costs you more.  

1 comment:

  1. We are in frugal mode too, but it's hard to do that when you are having to buy a million new things because you just moved and also are expecting a new baby. I have wanted to buy more second hand than I have been able to, merely because a LOT of the stuff I have needed suddenly costed more second hand (at consignment shops or online) than it did new- especially if you factored in shipping and whatnot. Thats been frustrating. But I'm cracking the whip, we love to eat out and get a new movie now and again, my weakness is buying books- new or used, shoes, and makeup. I've hated with our economy having to make so many purchases lately. We need to save more so I'm looking to start cutting down even more. Every little bit helps! Eva is at a hard age right now, she wants everything and doesn't really "get why she can't have it all, so I use tricks to keep her interested in the stuff she has (she's got enough toys for ten three year olds) like rotating her toys and books, letting her choose what to donate or sell when she does get new stuff, having her put change into her piggy bank. I don't believe money buys the love of your kids, like so many parents seem to think.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x