Saturday, January 08, 2011

what do you like about your house?

Last night we had some lovely friends over to dinner. It was one of those perfect nights. Everyone was relaxed, happy and in holiday mode. We sat up in the pavillion while the kids swam, and then, once it was dark we moved down to have our dinner on the back veranda while the kids ate inside and watched a DVD. Then, at about 8.30 the kids asked if they could go for another swim and we said "Why not?" and turned on the pool lights, and moved back up to the pavillion.

Bliss.

That's the kind of night memories are made of. I love that we've managed to make so many lovely friends who are also raising such gorgeous children. Seriously good kids. The two boys happily played with my gal, which is great as they'll be spending a week together in Provence, and our other friends have the most gorgeous little girl who enchanted us all. You know those children that are just so sweet, lovely, funny and fabulous that you can't take your eyes off them? That was Miss R. My gal hasn't stopped raving about her - she really was utterly enchanting. And so happy! She didn't have her swimmers, but happily sat there watching the big kids swim with the most beautiful little smile playing about her lips.

Bless.

But on to the topic of this post. What I love about our house is that it makes nights like that possible. Where the kids can have fun, the adults know their safe, and that we have enough changes of scene to keep things interesting.

You've got to be happy with that.

PS: this shot is not my house - but don't you love that candelabra in the corner? Why waste a spot when you can make it pretty?

6 comments:

  1. Those evenings are pure gold. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sitting here on a cold grey winter's morning reading your post, I'm dreaming of easy breezy summer evenings like yours - bliss indeed. We're currently living in a 3 bedder apartment in Munich, on what I call a 3 year escape from 'real life' while my hubbie does some work here. What I like most about our home is the downstairs ''keller'' which we've turned into kid central - lego, scalextrics, craft, and wii...a place just for them which comes in handy when these cold winters set in: )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful night. The best bit of our house is the layout. It all works :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Memories are often made of the little things, not the big things. The house and pool sound delightful. Our house will work better after a few more renovations, but I love sitting out in our garden on our seat that my hubby bought me for Christmas four years ago. I need to sit there more with a cuppa methinks. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful way to spend the evening. Sounds like you have a fanastic house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to have a pavillion by our pool. But our house pretty much functions like yours does - plenty of space for everyone to relax and lots of different areas in which to sit and have a chat. I wouldn't have it any other way. x

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x