Sunday, January 23, 2011

cheaty healthy

I've been making a cheat's version of bircher muesli the last few days, and boy, am I loving it sick. I love bircher, but I ALWAYS forget to soak the oats overnight. But the other day, I was craving the stuff so deeply I thought I'd try anyway. So I put a little oats in the bottom of my bowl {probably 1/3rd of a cup} and covered it with milk. Then I sliced up a peach, threw in a handful of blackberries and blueberries, dollopped on some plain yoghurt and topped with some pistachios. And it was delish!

It didn't have grated apple because I was too lazy to pull out an apple and grate it - but it was still ridiculously healthy, uber-delish and kept me satisfied for hours. So much so that I think I'd best go make myself a bowl now!

Do you get bored of breakfast? I do. I need variety - a lot of variety. I switch between cereals, toasts, muffins, crumpets, bagels, eggs... I have a very short food attention span {something you'd probably know if you read my weekly menu plans...}

The only things I don't get bored of are drinks: coffee, champagne and good old water are three of my favourite things {of course I do tend to consume more water than I do of those others by the way}.

Are you easily bored or a delightful creature of habit?

7 comments:

  1. Not only do I get bored with breakfast, I have to force myself to eat it. From the time I was 15 to about 50, I very rarely ate breakfast. Then I got diagnosed with diabetes and had to start eating every morning. I still hate having to think about what to eat. Mostly is it just multi grained toast with vegemite, occasionally weetbix and then hubby spoils me with porridge on wintery weekend mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get bored with every flavour on this planet (except water - but I guess that has no flavour). But I do love bircher muesli and love your cheat's version. Because I too, forget to soak it overnight, so then end up having warm oats in the morning. But saying that, I think breakfast is my favourite meal: pancakes, baked beans, eggs, french toast, toast, cereal, oats... it's unlimited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get bored easily too. But like you I never get bored of champagne, coffee or water!

    I adore bircher, too! Haven't made for a while, you've inspired me!

    Hubby and the kidlets eat Weet-bix every, single day. Me? I have a range of cereals on the shelf that I switch between.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kakka, bless your hubby and his wintry porridge - he's a keeper x

    Kymmie, it is unlimited isn't it - and glad I'm not the only one with a tastebud low boredom threshold...

    Corinne, what is it with Men? Kids I understand, but my husband could eat the same breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack for the rest of his life. Me, oh no!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've just reminded my how good a bircher can be. I like my oats chewy, so your version is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your muesli sounds like heaven. I am going to have to give this a go as I too get bored with breakfast and I am particularly lazy if I have to put a lot of effort in. Looking forward to breakfast tomorrow already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you like bircher, try it with stone fruit...I do try and soak the oats overnight, just in water and a bit of apple juice. I also chop up some stone fruit and soak them overnight seperately - you can add a bit of honey if you like - then just throw the lot together in the morning, a dollop of yoghurt on top, drizzle of honey - YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x