Sunday, January 02, 2011

oh joy...

Why is it that putting the Christmas tree up is accompanied by carols, good cheer and big smiles, while putting it away is always a far more subdued event. I think next year I'm going to make the taking down of the tree a far more festive event - and do it with songs, champagne and a true sense of welcoming in the new year.

I think the hardest thing to take down was this garland. I love how beautifully it frames the rose in the centre of the leadlight on our front door. I love our leadlight - not only is it beautiful - it also has a lot of meaning. See, my mum and step-dad made it for us - using glass from my beloved Nana Rose's front door. Hence, the rose. I loved my nana enormously, in fact, she was the inspiration for our daughter's middle name - as her surname was Rose and she always grew beautiful roses in her garden.

Every time I walk down the hallway the light shines through the beautiful shades of amethyst roses and dappled glass and I remember happy times with my Nana. That's what I mean by surrounding yourself with things that are not only beautiful - but have meaning. I truly believe that your eyes should dance around a room and alight on things that cause your heart to sing.

What's making your heart sing today?

9 comments:

  1. Sitting in the back garden eating a perfectly BBQ's steak with my little family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post - so good to be back reading, PPMJ. You are quick to take down your tree - we wait until 12th night. A few more days to enjoy your pretty garland then?

    Making me smile is the fact that LOML has taken the Tsunamis to the beach and I am on my lonesome!!! Off to read my book in the hammock.

    Happy new year!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black cockatoos in the tree outside our window. That and the idea of having an afternoon nap ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why that post made my heart sing! Really lovely. I love hearing how people's homes are filled with things that help them remember people they love and have meaning and heart. How lovely to have the story of your door. If you ever sell and move you must take that door with you!
    I love your garland too. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet post! It is truly a gorgeous rose in the leadlight (and the garland too). I AGREE WITH YOU! Make the tree coming down a festive ringing-in of the new year! I'll be doing that next year. Thanks for that little brain-wave.

    Making me smile: We've rearranged our huge living room so now we have 3 zoned bits... and somehow, I wrangled a fair sized reading corner out of it that is blissfully simple and devoid of all toys and clutter. Ahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an absolutely gorgeous garland, and I love that your door has such meaning. Beautiful! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is beautiful. And what a gift. I would take it with me wherever I went. But perhaps you don't move as much as we do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all so much for sharing - and don't worry - we won't be moving till we go to the retirement village (and then I'll be taking the leadlight with me!) x

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x