Monday, May 11, 2009

win win win

There's no point in cleaning out your clutter, if it's left in boxes and bags waiting for the right time to drop it off at a donation location. For the past few weeks I've had six boxes of magazines, a couple of bags of toys, and a bag of CDs that I meant to sell, all cluttering up my study. So today, when my hubby came home for lunch, we lugged all the boxes and bags down and filled the boot of my car. I then leapt straight in my car and drove to the salvos where a passing good samaritan helped me unload - making it only four trips each, rather than what would have been more like a dozen for me.

And wow, do I feel good. My study floor is now freshly vacuumed, and it feels like I have twice the space. I know that the Salvos will have no trouble selling the recent mags {plenty of House and Garden mags} and the CDs will make some indie retro teen very happy indeed {who needs CDs when you've got them on iTunes and your iPod. So it's a three-way win situation - and you've gotta be happy with that.

I'm still slowly working my way through the decluttering. I've now got to go through five years worth of my daughter's school books - the school sends them all home at the end of the year - and work out what to keep, and what to {sob} pitch. Next weekend's the Council Clean-up, so I'm determined to have all my clutter totally cleansed by then, surrounding myself only with beautiful or really useful stuff. Bliss.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE decluttering. Last week, I slowly sorted through each room, bookcase, and drawer, and donated/tossed/recycled/sold stuff. We made $200 on the things we did sell and have a lot more space that will quickly fill back up, I am sure. Nolan comes from a family of packrats so I've really had to wean him off of storing every little teeny scrap of anything.

    However, he is very good at weeding out closets. Anything that we're unsure of whether we like, whether it fits, if its too ratty, he's way more likely than I am to toss it into the piles. I'll hem and haw and keep clothes around "just in case". I should have him clean out my closet with me every single time.

    If I were you, I'd jump online, create a seller account somewhere and sell those old texts of your daughters. Or find a good charity that donates them to kids that need them or whatever. This week of bedrest, I have about three piles of textbooks and books that I will be listing on amazon to get rid of.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x