Tuesday, May 26, 2009

what's for dinner?

Despite my rows of cookbooks sitting atop kitchen shelves, a television that's either tuned to Lifestyle Food or MasterChef, and my avid attention to numerous foodie blogs - I'm feeling stumped about dinners this week.

I just don't know what I feel like. I think it's because the weather's so in-between {I'd like to blame my indecision on an external factor...} It's autumn, but there's still summer produce sitting around the shelves and nothing's screaming autumn harvest. 

Perhaps I need to get to the farmer's markets this weekend and immerse myself in goods fresh from the farm... Or I could visit my friendly butcher and ask him what's good - and devise a menu around that. I am determined to try something new. Perhaps with dinner tonight we could have caramelised roasted carrots and parsnips. Possibly with pork cutlets? And tomorrow night's netball training, which means slow-cooker - how's chilli con carne sound? Then Thursday, I could whip up some spanish chicken with chorizo and serve it with a mess of greens with plenty of garlic. Friday night...baked fish with tomatoes, garlic and olives - served with homemade lemon fries. We have friends coming for dinner Saturday night - so that's sorted {can't tell you because they read the blog and I love a surprise...} And Sunday night's always roast night - either beef or pork this week I believe.

There you go. Done. Thanks! I couldn't have done it without you. xxx

4 comments:

  1. Well today I made chili in the slow cooker with some beef stew meat that I got hella-cheap. It was very, very, very good and very cheap. We also have leftovers for lunches and some in the freezer for later on.

    I've been in the mood to make succotash lately, do you ever make it? You would adore it. I'll blog on it later on, just think pure, vegetal awesomeness.

    In my crisper drawer I've got some brussels sprouts, some broccoli, and I've also got a ton of potatoes in the pantry. Tomorrow night I'm sure we'll grill sausages and make "potato chips" (oven backed sliced taters sprinkled with olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and rosemary).

    I've been in the mood for pasta, so mac n cheese one night, and I'm sure another night will be brussels sprouts with poached eggs. The broccoli I am considering turning into a broccoli and pea salad with grilled shrimp.

    There! Both of our week menus planned! Thanks Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I was feeling uninspired this week too, so I sat down with a pile of my fave cookbooks and paged through them while we watched a movie during the early afternoon thunderstorms we had. It served to majorily inspire new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made succotash - please post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Succotash is amazing. Think sauteed veggies thickened just bit, making their own sauce with their juices. I will post soon!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x