Monday, May 25, 2009

lightbulb moment



It's not often that I have an idea so brilliant that I dazzle myself. But this weekend I did. After four years of netball my gal's expressed an interest in, and talent at, shooting. Unfortunately, when we started the backyard I snapped her netball hoop's base right off so it was cactus... or so I thought...

It's been lying in the side garden, just waiting for council clean-up, while I've been keeping my eye on hoops on sale. The freestanding numbers are pricey - around $100 - which isn't do-able when you're budgeting. I thought about attaching the hoop to the house, but that wouldn't work as we'd have mis-timed balls on the roof and in the gutters in no time. So yesterday I decided to put my thinking cap on... What if I had a big, long spike I could put the pole on? Then, I remembered the totem tennis game out the back. It's one of those games that seems like a good idea at the time, but hitting a ball round and round gets kinda boring, and the game's just left to rust. 
However... by taking the top half of the totem tennis game off, I was left with a one metre long spike, that the netball post slid right on over. Result? A sturdy three metre netball hoop that's readily relocatable, re-used two bits of metal that would've gone onto the council clean-up, and my gal can duck outside and shoot some goals whenever she fancies!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x