Wednesday, June 15, 2011

totally delicious


The first time we went overseas was in 1999. Our research for the UK was based on a book from the British Embassy, a book by Bill Bryson {and the reason we went to Durham - well worth it!} and advice from our real estate agent on must-see places in Paris.

The second time was in 2006, and the internet was our guide. We booked an amazing chateau in the Dordogne in South West France to stay, and uncovered so many gems.

This time I'm doing a lot of research through blogs. Hurrah! After I'd decided that we really should eat a lunch at a restaurant in the Eiffel Tower, and then failing to make a lunch reservation, it was a blog that alerted me to the fact that there's no need to reserve a table at lunch - just rock on up. It's also a blog that caused me the most outrageous salivation and guffaws this evening. I found Paris Patisseries via a link from French Vogue and spent a few hours tonight going through every single post. Aside from the most extraordinary photography {these macarons above are just one of his drool-worthy pics - wait till you see his gorgeous close-up detail shos!}, I just love this guy's style. He's hilarious and has the most incredible way with words.

He's also going to be responsible for me eating my way through some incredible patisseries in Paris - how could I not? Please go have a look - but not on an empty stomach - I had to leave mid-peruse and make a nutella crepe...

7 comments:

  1. I am filled with envy for your upcoming trip! French patisseries are a wonderful thing. Its brilliant to be able to research an adventure on the internet and get actual real life accounts, it makes the whole experience more personal and more fun I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to live vicariously through your blog! Even if it's just some pics when you get back.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ate my first ever macaroon in Paris in 2008. Homme and I had a three day, last minute, work-related trip and we have a friend who lives in Paris. He cooked dinner one night and for dessert he served macaroons from a local patisserie. I am drooling at the memory. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to have found your blog, I myself am in love with France. My sister lives in Paris, and yes I do tend to eat my way through the entire visits. Have a wonderful time! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am yet to try a macaroon and I would never even attempt to cook them after watching Masterchef!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been meaning to share this with you for ages....some online (blog) links to guides for Paris http://faroutbrusselsprout.blogspot.com/2009/07/this-is-paris.html

    Tell me you've got a trip to Merci planned??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Super Sarah, the research is just half the fun!

    Corinne, I'm taking the macbook with me - there'll be blogging on tour.

    Mmmm Vanessa, sounds like an amazing experience.

    Thanks Donna, glad you discovered the blog - envy you a sister in Paris - I'd be visiting all the time.

    Kakka, oh, a good macaron is a delight - but so difficult to cook. Best fly to Paris one day and have one at Laduree.

    Thank you so much Siobhan, I had Merci on the list and couldn't remember why - it was you! Also have Canteen in London on my must-visit thanks to you on twitter the other night. Thank you! x

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x