Saturday, June 04, 2011

farmer's best

For some reason, we go through a lot of milk in this house. It could be the coffee addiction, or the fact that my husband and child tend to snack on cereal, but it's the one thing we're always low on. It made me pine for the olden days when the milkman would deliver milk to your door. In glass bottles {yes, I am that old}.

So I did a bit of a happy dance when I saw that the milkman was doing a comeback - just when I had my cranky pants on about the milk discounting and how that was impacting our farmers. When the dude knocked on our door we signed up and have now had two deliveries.

Yep, milk, bread, vegies and barramundi{!!} all delivered in a box on our doorstep.

The quality has been awesome. We went with the mixed box and aside from a rogue green capsicum, the quality's been brilliant {the green capsicum was fine - I just don't do green capsicum...}

If Aussie Farmer's Direct is operating near you go check them out. It's a great way to support Aussie farmers - and get food delivered to your door. Next week I'm doing the full shop with vacuum sealed meats and deli meats - I'll let you know how I get on.

10 comments:

  1. Saw the ad for this the other day and will now check out if they do it here in Perth, and to our suburb.

    Let me know how it goes with the full shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great tip - will check out the website after typing this.

    Fxx

    Have you considered getting a dairy cow, I think you can get them with pink patent hooves {kidding!}

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's fantastic! We are so over commercialized these days, great to see things like this becoming available :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love Aussie farmers here ... anyone who brings food to my house without me having to take the 3 kids to the supermarket is perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would love to hear how you go with the meat. We couldn't get AFD in our old suburb (though they delivered to the suburbs either side of us - go figure!). Now that we have moved, I will have to check them out again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a total fan of Aussie Farmers Direct and my sisters business as well www.highlandsfarmmeat.com.au Love sticking it to Coles and Woolies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now THAT is convenient! Eggs from my parents place is as close as we get to delivered produce. Must get our vegetable garden operating soon! gxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks so much for the Aussie Farmers tip ... I'm now signed up and expecting my first delivery. Can't wait. I've refused to by the supermarket's own brand milk and I wont' buy their fruit and veges either, so this is fabulous! Saving petrol and time too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been using AFD for about 5 months now and love it!! My two year old can't wait to get the lid off the fruit and veg box every Friday afternoon to check out (and nab) the fruit. Meat is a weekly for us - love it. Took me about a month to work out my weekly orders but very little tweaking required now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic idea. I remember when we had bread milk, newspapers, fruit and veg and even ice delivered to our door and also when the little corner grocer would bring the grocery order right into our kichen in acardboard box. Nice to get back to personal service rather than these huge stores where you are lucky to see the same checkout lass each week.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x