Thursday, June 09, 2011

the right accents


I was really looking forward to Nine. I'd looked forward to it at the movies {and missed it}, then looked forward to it on DVD {and, um, forgot about it} and then excitedly recorded it when we got Foxtel IQ. Well, last night I was keen to watch something and thought I'd give this a shot. I was pretty sure that I'd be able to ignore Nicole Kidman's botoxed and lip-plumped face, and settled in to enjoy it. But something bugged me.

Daniel Day Lewis' accent.

It really bugged me, and it wasn't until he started singing until I realised why.

His accent wasn't so much crazy Italian Director as, The Count from Sesame Street.

Obviously I had to stop watching as everytime he spoke, in my head I heard {"And nine, ha, ha, ha!}

What's been your accented bug-bear?

4 comments:

  1. All those Aussies doing a cartoon recreation of an LA accent. Does my head in on most tv shows (Aussie's definitely punch above our weight in the acting industry - we're everywhere!!!) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I thought that I might watch this movie too .... but after reading this - I don't think that I can. I too thought that Nicole was the one that was going to bug me ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dick Van Dyke's woeful cockney accent in Mary Poppins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are Maxabella aren't we? And yes, Aussie's doing American is only slightly less cringeworthy than the vice-versa version.

    Lizeylou, same, but not even Marion Cottilard saved it for me - because DDL spoke to her!

    Oh Corinne, yes, that's the yardstick for all crap accents isn't it? I remember puzzling for ages when I rewatched as an adult as to what that accent was!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x