Sunday, May 23, 2010

um, yum

Sorry, my camera had a flat battery {so this isn't my actual meal}, but I had to share the amazing meal we had tonight. Standing rib pork roast on a bed of rhubarb.

Oh, yes, it's as good as it sounds.

I cute two pieces of rhubarb into batons about 10cm long and lay them side-by-side in baking tray. Then I got the pork ready by scoring the crackling and rubbing in lots of olive oil and pink murray river sea salt. The oven was piping hot at 230 degrees celcius when I lay the pork on the bed of rhubarb and put it in the oven for 15 minutes. Then I turned the oven down to around 180 and cooked it for around 45 minutes till medium rare. It rested for 10 minutes then my dear one carved us a cutlet each and some crackle. The rhubarb? Caramelised and infused with a wee bit of pork flavour. The pork? Tender, succulent and the best pork roast I've ever made.

Thanks Jamie Oliver, what an idea. And thanks Farmer's Markets where I saw those lovely bunches of rhubarb that inspired my dinner. And thanks fellow pork lover Beth who also believes that too much pork is barely enough.

Oh, and I had one stick of rhubarb left over, so I stewed it with some vanilla extract and brown sugar. Guess what's gracing my porridge in the morning?

1 comment:

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x