Friday, May 21, 2010

in your dreams

I had a dream last night that my house was robbed - but not this house, a combination of our old house in Newtown and a house I saw last night on Property Ladder {you know how things are never as they seem}. In my dream I was thrilled they didn't take my KitchenAid, thrilled they'd stolen the couch I'd quite like replaced, and not even vaguely thrilled that they'd taken my computer. Even in my sleep I felt a cold shot of fear enter my heart when I saw my computer was missing and thought to myself "You know, I really should back up my documents" {this song? why yes I am playing it again...}

So, about 45 minutes ago I was ready to do a phone interview with the second-last subject I need to speak to for a feature. I went to open the document which has the transcriptions of the other interviews I'd done and all the research - and it wasn't there. Anywhere. I frantically searched through all the files, before eventually doing a search and finding them - somewhere. Now they're saved and I'm going to properly look into backing up. Losing something so important, for an article that's due on Monday is not a good idea. Now my heartrate's returned to normal I'm going to open up Google Docs and start moving stuff around.

Phew, sweet dreams...

7 comments:

  1. It's funny. Up and till when I started honours I didn't back up much...but then when I started and they had a server for to back my stuff up on I do it all the time!! Even at home I am paranoid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to back up, then I guess I just got complacent. But I'm pretty sure that this is a sign I need to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked for 5 hours the other week and didn't save as I went along, I just forgot. When I turned on the kettlevgor a revive cuppa the power went out! My heart dropped to my stomach thinking of all I'd lost! Thankfully word had autosaved and I only lost 5 minutes work. I think you're dreams are your reminder call :) Pethaps I should do a backup also...especially all the photos..mmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jen, the photos... don't even mention the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A timely reminder!

    When I see the SATC episode "The Motherboard" this is my main "timely reminder"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, mine too Belinda - that episode makes me feel ill every time I watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl! Back your stuff up! They even make pretty pink external hard drives! (Ahem don't know how I knew that one, other than it's sitting on my desk) Love ya!

    Aren't robbery dreams funny? It's always weird stuff that gets stolen in mine and something truly mundane breaks my heart because it's gone, like say, a plastic water glass with hearts.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x