Wednesday, May 05, 2010

balancing act

I'm trying to remain calm, serene and in-control - but boy, doesn't life sometimes seem to conspire to ensure you don't? Wearing so many hats can be confusing sometimes, every now and again I seem to put on the 'mother' hat when I'm with my husband - leaving him confused and feeling like a 10-year-old... I also try to get out of 'brisk, efficient, freelancer's' hat when I collect my daughter from school - but feel like I need some kind of 'transeasonal beret' to help ease the transition.

I have shopped, unpacked and am getting ready to cook up the chilli con carne for tonight's dinner {I decided on making it in the le crueset rather than the slowcooker}. I'm making it up as I go along, but following Nigella's lead and popping a few squares of Lindt dark chocolate in, and throwing a cinnamon stick in as well.

I've had to try to squish in a phone interview into a very brief window of time. I'm going out for a girly lunch tomorrow for a friend's birthday, so couldn't fit the interview in halfway through that, therefore I'm going to have to leave the school's mother's day breakfast after the croissant, but before the liturgy {whoopsies}. I've tried to make as many as possible, but sometimes, something has to give and I've just got to try to dedicate equal time to varying important tasks.

Seems like so many blogs are pondering big questions at the moment - obviously we're all going through 'stuff'. I'm going to chill now and go dice up my mirepoix for my chilli {onions, celery and carrots} - thank goodness for relaxed cooking, where I can think, chill and just be in the moment.

What's your one saviour?

5 comments:

  1. Mine would have to be reading. I make time to read for at least an hour a day...for me reading is like lying in a bath, total relaxation and the only time (apart from when I'm sleeping, and even then...!)I completely stop thinking about what's going on in my life and can just be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, reading. I adore reading and only seem to manage a chapter or so per night. I think I should set aside more time to read - thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading, but I read fast. Completed Jodi Picoult's House Rules in one night.

    For when really stressed, roller skating. Burns the bads away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonjour! So happy you came across my blog, especially since it's given me an opportunity to discover yours. It's nearly lunchtime here in Paris and your chile con carne talk has my stomach rumbling. Sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Throwing the ball for my dog. She absolutely won't let me get away with not doing it and sometimes when I've been rushing around all day and I know I won't be able to relax until I've taken her I almost always see it as such a huge chore. But when I get down to the park with her and start throwing the ball and she just loves it so much it stops being a chore and becomes a really relaxing moment. We are never there for very long, but the time we are is just for her and me and we always have a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x