Thursday, May 06, 2010

ditch the diet

Today's No Diet Day so I think it's only appropriate to muse on a few things I read today. Jennifer Aniston's filming a new movie at the moment and, apparently, to get herself "in shape" for it {you know, cos she'd really let herself go before....} she followed the advice of Gwyneth's guru Tracey Anderson. Guess what the theory is? Nope - can't possibly think? It's the baby food diet. Yep, eat 14 servings of pureed baby food and then you can eat a normal meal.

Yum.

No spices, no oils, no herbs, no flavour. Um, no life.

Next on my 'what the?' list was reading about a US publication and its regular "Bikini Body issue". Yep, they're still doing those. So, apparently a few times this year they've pointed to this reality star's heavy cocaine use. Word is she's not subtle about her love of the white powder and we all know that as well as melting septums, cocaine is an appetite suppressant {for years models have followed the Triple C diet, cigs, cocaine and diet Coke}.

So, after pointing this chick out as a heavy cocaine user what's the next step? Featuring her on the cover with a coverline screaching "How to get Kristen's Bikini Body" {funnily enough exercise and eating in moderation were mentioned - nothing about the blow...}.

We always see these stars with these incredible bodies - but so rarely do we hear about what they go through to get them. Amanda Seyfried recently pointed out that she's always starving, because that's what's expected of an A-lister. Julianne Moore's said the same. Unless you're lucky enough to be on the cast of Mad Men there is an expectation on star's bodies - female and male. They require a lot of time, a lot of energy, and little real food.

But I'm no Hollywood star. I'll eat what I can to stay healthy. I play netball for the love of it, and walk because I know exercise has benefits to my body, mind and wellbeing. But I'll also never say no to a champagne, pork belly or duck confit. If one of my fave puddings are on the menu then I'll eat it without a "Oh, I really shouldn't..." crossing my lips.

Sure, I'm not the size 10 I was in my early 20s, but I'm not hungry all the time either. I'll eat rather than have a cigarette to dampen the hunger. I'm probably healthier, and chances are I'm even fitter. And, as I've said before, a lil padding on the butt means you fill out those wrinkles without the need for botox and fillers.

For No Diet Day let's all just accept our bodies for today. They hold in our organs, help us move around and keep our clothes from falling to the ground. If you want to be healthier then take small steps to doing so, but today take that body of yours on a nice, long walk. Dress it in something that makes you look and feel fabulous and raise a toast to what it's helped you achieve so far.

Love your body - it's the only one you've got.

10 comments:

  1. That article that went viral about Amanda Seyfried and Julianne Moore saying their always hungry and had to remain that way or not get any work made me want to scratch my own eyeballs out. Furious! And how can it be that we are in the year 2010 and we are still having 'Bikini' specials? Makes me homicidal with rage. Great post!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. ('They're').
    Hopeless, totally hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And on that note I am going to get a grill'd burger for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post! The way magazines glorify celebrities' bodies and their super-healthy (yeah, right!) lifestyles is ridiculous. What do these people eat when they go out for dinner?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous post! And oh so true.

    I will never be as slim Jen and unfortunately I'll never have Christina Hendricks curves, but I'm not going to waste my time lamenting the fact. My body may not give me Hollywood success, but it gave me and fed my two girls, so can't ask for more than that! In my eyes it's miraculous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! No Diet today! WooHoo!
    I'm not sure which is sadder: The celebs who are forced to live like this to maintain their image or the magazines who present it as normal. The world had gone mad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone - oh, the irony of reading those two snippets on today of all days.

    Alex - and a hallelujah too.

    Rianna, me too!

    Siobahn - I had champagne, prawn pizza and chips with aoili at Silo. Mmmmm.

    Happy Jacki - apparently not much - or there's sadly a visit to the bathroom soon after the meal.

    Exactly Corinne, can't complain about my stretchmarks when I remember how I got them!

    Vicki, so true - and so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen a thousand times over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every year I consider a diet and every year I think no. I'll walk more. So I do. I'm not skinny, my tummy is Mummy, and I'm learning to live with it. It's not easy, but it's the way it is. Why beat myself up about it?

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x