Tuesday, May 04, 2010

for good

Do you have gorgeous things that you save for a truly magnificent event? Or, do you prefer to spice up the everyday with something special? I think every day should be celebrate with a spritz of gorgeous perfume. I think tea tastes nicer in a porcelain cup and saucer. I'm happy to use a cloth tablecloth and napkins every day - they only need a wash and I feel better settling down to a dinner set with something lovely.

The other week we went to my in-laws for a dinner for my father-in-law. When we arrived the table was set with all the cutlery laid out, fresh roses from the garden in vases, silver salt and pepper shakers dotted here and there. It looked lovely. But I didn't think to comment.

When we came home my gal said, "I like Nana. {pause} No, I love Nana. She always goes to the effort to make everything look nice. Like the table, we had two forks, a knife and lots of pretty flowers - it makes everything so special." And it was. I'm glad my gal notices things like that. No matter what the family event the table's always set beautifully and it makes every meal taste nicer and makes you sit up that little bit straighter to enjoy it.

What are you going to do to make your day special?

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm..if i buy a new dress then i will wait for a special occasion to wear it before i introduce it into everydayness. If I want to give myself a cheer up or celebrate I might wear a bracelet to uni (like my beautiful pandora charm one!). At home we are really relaxed though...dont really bring out the good plates much or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wear at least one good piece of jewellery (besides my engagement/wedding rings). I've been fortunate enough to have been given/inherited some lovely pieces.

    I always like to have a vase full of fresh flowers in the house. They make me smile whenever I look at them.

    I agree that a spritz of gorgeous scent everyday is essential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a piece of Tiffany jewellery I wear every day. And I wear "good" perfume every day (although it is now discontinued....arrrgggh, but I do not want to ration it out!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Golly gee those little shoes are divine...I would wear those to bed if permitted!

    I believe in making every day special with little things too like lighting candles, wearing perfume and sparkly earrings. Little things like this often pep me up and go a long way to making my day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! I'm one of those silly people who save things 'for good'. It drives my husband crazy. I hereby pledge to start using/wearing/displaying all the pretty things that I've been saving! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Clarissa, new frocks always need new, special events for their first outing. And a cheer-up piece of jewellery is always a good idea.

    Oh Corinne, love fresh flowers - need to do that more often.

    Lucy, you had me at Tiffany - love! My keyring's Tiffany. And oh, no, discontinued perfume!!! You must find a replacement - what perfume is it?

    Julie, you're so right, little things make a very big difference don't they? I have a Peony room spray on my desk and every now and again I make my study smell amazing with a spritz.

    Happy Jacki - go on - do it - it'll feel weird at first, but then oh-so-good. After all, who's a more important person than ourselves? x

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x