Saturday, February 02, 2013

underground epicureans on high


I don't know if words are going to do justice to the magnificence of the Underground Epicurean experience last night. But I'll try. It was bucketing with rain, so, instead of dining on the rooftop of a city building - we had an apartment set up with long tables, glassware galore, and lovely tealights glowing in little jars. We had our first glass of champagne for the night and the waitresses brought around the most incredible oysters with an eschelot dressing.

Hello.


I read the menu. Died a bit. Went to heaven. Came back again.


Hello prettiness! The most perfectly plump figs drizzled with honey, delicious spears of asparagus dipped in truffle oil and a quail scotch egg. Topped with watercress and toasted almonds.

That scotch egg?

Divine.

A taste sensation.

See that dressing on the plate? Every morsel went from my fingertip to my mouth.


A table of very satisfied epicureans. Lots of wine (or champagne in our case) chatting and orgasmic Ooooohhhsss over the food.


I've only had venison once before. Raw, as carpaccio at Subo. I think it's now my fave. This rare cutlet, and the pile of shredded braise melted in my mouth. Those little balls of pumpkin were sublime, and all perfectly accessorised by a pile of spinach. There was a hint of chocolate there, but subtle, so subtle. It set off the dish. Everything hummed to a bring the meal to a delicious crescendo.


You need something to wash down the food. And it's true, champagne really does go with everything. In between courses the rain abated and we walked upstairs to the rooftop to take in the view.

What a view.


Oh look, another of my fave restaurants - "bonsoir le petit deux".


One of my fave things is watching chefs in action plating up. I actually got a non-blurry shot, but I love this one as it shows the speed and finesse used. Guys, you are AWESOME. Add Restaurant Mason and Chris Thornton to my list of Newcastle Chef Crushes.


Have you ever, in your life, seen anything more beautiful than this? No. You haven't. Macerated and compressed strawberries, vanilla, white chocolate honeycomb and candied violettes. My idea of heaven on a plate. And in my mouth? OH MY! The perfect combination of textures and flavours. I haven't tasted strawberries so delicious since France.

On the way home we discussed our favourite dish. T said his was the entree of figs, G loved the venison, my hubby adored the dessert. I agreed with each of them and said, yep, that was my favourite too. They pointed out that *every* course couldn't be my favourite. And I accused them of nitpicking.

White Rabbit, I love you for bringing this to Newcastle. Expect to see me at every single event in the future.

Oh, and a special shout-out to my lovely blog-readers who also attended last night. How FABULOUS was it?

French word of the day: magnifique - magnificent. 

Because, let's face it, last night was magnificence magnified.

18 comments:

  1. Yum yum and more yum. How do you get on the list to go to such an event?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, you have made me very, very hungry!!! Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We must go to Cafe Mason one day for a coffee catch-up. Hey, perhaps to discuss book club? Yes?

      Delete
  3. This looks wonderful, I can't wait to see the next Epicurean instalment. Who will cook and where will you go next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cannot WAIT to find out Alice - such a fabulous adventure x

      Delete
  4. Looks delicious and fun! How lucky to be involved! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous, and jealous and hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not often my mouth actually waters looking at a menus or pictures of food but I must admit it did today. What a wonderful evening you all had and the wonderful views from the roof to top it off. Thanks so much for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimsie it really was divine. Also, met a few of my blog readers who are also a fan of yours! x

      Delete
    2. Some of my fans are very silent. Very few leave comments so never sure just who reads my posts. Never mind though; it's nice to know that some do. :)

      Delete
    3. Mimsie, love to read your posts on here...I love your take on the world!!

      Delete
  7. Oh. My. God. I just had a food orgasm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was such a fabulous night!!! I loved seeing all your gorgeous photos so that I could re-live all the delicate details of each course and the sumptuous evening. If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have heard about it, so merci beaucoup!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x