Thursday, February 14, 2013

newcastle writers festival




There's something fabulous headed to Newcastle in April - the inaugural Newcastle Writers Festival. Yesterday I was thrilled to attend to the launch, in the Lock Up Cultural Centre in Newcastle East. Here, the program was unveiled, and we got to hear the story behind the festival and how it came to fruition. I was thrilled to hear that the delightful Miriam Margolyes is opening the festival with the keynote address on the Friday night (April 5). Every time I've ever seen her on screen, Miriam has delighted me - so I am brimming with anticipation at seeing her in person.






Here's the festival organiser, Rosemarie Milsom. Like many of these events, The Newcastle Writers Festival started as a mere glimmer in Rosemarie's eye last June. But now it's a fabulous reality. I can't even begin to imagine the hard work behind it, but when you see the program, you start to get an idea.










So far nearly half of the program has been released and the 16 ticketed events went on sale yesterday. I've already got my tickets to four events, and I'm now just trying to juggle which of the others I need. There's so much on offer that I want to stuff my greedy, literary-loving face with them all.
Head to their extremely well-executed website www.newcastlewritersfestival.org.au for details on the lust-worthy program and ticketing.
But, for a hint, here's a few things on offer:
• Guests including: Anita Heiss, Robert Drewe, Stuart Littlemore, Jane Caro, Richard Fidler, Kerri Sackville, Amanda Hooton and David Marr.
• Topics are diverse: True Crime, The Sea, Women and Social Media, Pride and Prejudice, Sport, Romance, War.
• Locations: The Lock Up, Noah's on the Beach, The Tower Cinemas, Newcastle City Hall.
The festival opens on Friday April 5 and runs on the Saturday through to the Sunday April 7. More events (free events!) are being announced on March 9 in the Newcastle Herald.
Quick. Snaffle up some tickets for what's bound to be the first of many great festivals.
Thank you so much to all the volunteers behind this - you're legends. See you at the festival.

French word of the day: je t'aime (zh tem) I love you.

2 comments:

  1. Should be very interesting. There are a couple of names there of people I don't like much but then one man's meat and so on.
    If you are attending I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I never knew about this writers festival at my doorstep. Thanks for the heads up.

    -Brooke
    www.bubbleandsqueakblog.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x