Friday, October 15, 2010

what's in a name?


If you'd asked me two days ago how I came up with the name for my blog I would have said, "Oh, I don't know - it just sort of came to me". But if you asked me today I would have realised that the name came to me because my gal's first ever pair of shoes were a pair of bright pink patent mary janes {and we continued the mary jane theme for as long as possible - damn they're a classic shoe...}.

I do like a story behind a name. Our gal's name has a story: a good one. When I was barely pregnant we travelled to the UK for my sister-in-law's wedding and as she was getting married up near the scottish border we decided to travel to my ancestoral town in Scotland. My grandfather had recently given me an oral history of our family which went back to the town of Crieff in Scotland - so I knew I had to go there. Visiting I realised how popular my family name was: streets, pubs and even the castle above bore my family name. It was while we were reading the history of the castle that a girl's name leapt out at us. She was the Queen who lived in the castle in the 16th century and both of us knew that would be our daughter's name.

Sure enough, we were blessed with a wee bonny lass and she has a name with history, a story and great beauty. It's a name to be proud of and one that just suits her to a T!

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely story! A gorgeous name for a gorgeous gal. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be names after a princess? She will do well in life x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful story, beautiful name, beautiful daughter and a beautiful mum x

    P.s I fell in love with your blog the first time I visited years ago.
    Pink Patent Mary Janes is full of beauty and Mary Janes are my fav xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fantastic is that - so glad you had a girl.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x