Wednesday, October 20, 2010

bigger isn't always better

I think it's easy to put off doing a kind deed because you want to make it special. A friend's sick and you think to yourself, 'Oh, I'll have to take them around a meal' and then you spend so long worrying about what to cook, whether they'll like it, whether it's special enough that before you know it she's well again.

That's where I think the small gestures come in handy.

I was chatting to my mother-in-law the other day and I mentioned how I like to try to live by the maxim "The smallest gesture is better than the grandest intention" - and it's true. So often we'll think about all the things we 'should' do that'll make a difference, but because we're so busy and life gets in the way we just don't get around to it. Then we feel guilty and often the friend we hoped to make feel better just feels neglected.

Instead of coming up with a beautifully made card to send to someone - it's best to send off a quick email or text to say, "Hi, thanks!" or "Thinking of you x". Obviously a phone call's better - but a fill in text can be like a smile, just to let them know they're in your mind.

What small gesture can you make today?

4 comments:

  1. Another thought provoking post PPMJ.

    Due to this post, I sent someone I haven't seen at school drop a text to see if she was okay. and she is so that is good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with this. While a grand gesture what be fabulous, a small gesture is definitely better than none.

    I always send out thank you emails immediately after a dinner/party/gift. While it would be nicer to send out a handwritten note, it's more likely that I'll do the emails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the queen of 'good intentions' but very poor at the execution. I totally take this on board and am going to do something for someone this week (instead of just thinking about it!). Thanks for the motivational speech :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x