Saturday, October 30, 2010

mighty fine dining

Oh, the excitement when you uncover a gem. I'd heard a wee bit of buzz about this new-ish place in Newcastle, East End Enoteca and had it in the back of my mind as a dining option. So when I heard that foodie friends were coming up from Sydney and Melbourne, well, I knew Newcastle had to turn it up a notch.

So last night eight of us turned up at this fabulous place. Perfect size, perfect atmosphere - and oh, the food. We went with the tasting menu where delicious plates of Italian-inspired produce were continually produced before our ever-so-amazed eyes. Oh my.

Starting with either a Kir Royale or a summer cocktail of Elderflower and Prosecco {or Peroni for some of the boys}, we nibbled on spicy grissini sticks and marinated olives. Then came the food. Lordy - can words do it justice? A lemon tuna paté that was quite possibly one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten was followed by pork meatballs in a sweet tomato sauce, ocean trout and scallops so plump and tasty I'm drooling at the memory, then an incredible pork number, salads, crispy garlic potatoes, pan fried snapper fillets {with more scallops and a carrot puree} and finally a massive rib roast of beef.

Think that's enough? Oh no, there were also delightful morsels of aranchini and a gorgonzola risotto so creamy, so delightfully tasty, so perfectly accessorised with wilted radicchio that I may never eat another risotto such was the lofty taste heights that this number assumed.

We concluded the night {and by we, I mean me} with a cassis panacotta {mmmmm} or affogato and then icy limoncello.

If you're ever in Newcastle, no, hold on, make plans to come to Newcastle and book in with a group of friends. Oh, and we also highly recommend the Tuscan Sangiovese that helped wash everything down so well.

Sated? Oh yeah.

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that's a feast!! It all sounds so delish xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds lovely, I love Italian food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a great place and a fun evening out with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up in Newcastle...there was nothing like that around way back when. Must give it a whirl when I next visit Mum and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boyfriend's up in Newcastle today...perhaps I should've gone with him for a tasty meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds amazing. You're making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah yes, it looks exactly like my kinda place. It's rather French looking by appearance, but Italian by stomach. Nice! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes please! Glad you enjoyed! xx.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy - how can 'chilled limoncello' be making drool even though I have only just had breakfast?!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x