Tuesday, October 12, 2010

penny pinching for paris {and provence}

I think the most important thing about being frugal and saving is to make it enjoyable. Rather than concentrating on what you're missing out on, focus on what you're creating. Keep tabs of how much you've saved and celebrate milestones with something the family can enjoy.

We had a family picnic the other day with my sister-in-law and her two gals. Now, normally when we picnic I head straight for the shops for baguettes, cheeses, olives and all manner of yummies. This time I made chicken, avocado and lettuce sandwiches, popped some popcorn, grabbed some crackers and a dip from the fridge. I filled a big bottle with water, took down a tablecloth and we set up at the beach. Guess whether we had just as much of an enjoyable time with a put-together meal as opposed to a $50+ banquet?

It's easy to fall into expensive traps. I know that I've done so in the past. Spending money's a helluva lot easier than saving it. Saving takes a little thought and preparation - but boy, does it make life simpler in the long run.

It also helps to include your child in the frugality - and helps set them up on the path to financial freedom in the future. They don't need to worry about money, just learn that there are more frugal options - and often ones that are more environmentally responsible too.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, sometimes you can get caught up with buying things instead of using what you already have. It should be a little easier for you to save when you think of your fabulous adventure ahead! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as well.
    It is the little things.
    I think we sometimes get to caught up in fancy!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have said it before, but I love your frugal posts. Somehow you seem to make 'saving' fun!! Glad you enjoyed the picnic. Big fans here at And then there were four xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x