Tuesday, August 03, 2010

souper douper





The other day I bought a rather bland butternut pumpkin. We had a little of it roasted with our beef on Sunday night, but it was immensely unsatisfying. So today, as I nearly froze to death, I thought I might as well make some pumpkin soup with the stuff.

To up the taste factor I sauteed a brown onion in olive oil until translucent, then I added a diced slice of Spring Hill Free-range bacon {from the farmer's markets - if you ever see Spring Hill meat please buy it - and not just because it's from my favourite holiday house in Burrawang!}. Then I diced the pumpkin and a peeled potato, threw them in for a few minutes then added a litre of chicken stock and a good amount of ground black pepper.

This simmered for around 30 minutes and then I popped in the stick blender to puree it all and that's it. No cream, no milk, but the tastiest, creamiest pumpkin soup ever. {I reckon it's the bacon that made the difference - everything tastes better with bacon...}

6 comments:

  1. Yummo! I agree, everything tastes better with bacon. We saw 7 of the cutest little piglets on Sunday and I felt a little bit guilty. But then I just thought all hail the humble pig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pumpkin soup but I have never cooked it myself. This recipe sounds so easy, I’ll have to give it a try. Approximately how much pumpkin did you have it in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was 1/2 a butternut pumpkin-ish - so not much at all really! Enjoy Kelly!

    Oooh, piglets, Maxabella!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pumpkin soup. I roast mine first or cook it with a bit of curry paste to give it an extra zap. Going to try the bacon now though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pumpkins make the most excellent curried soup imaginable. TRUST ME.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x