Wednesday, August 11, 2010

oh pulease

So, as you may have heard, it's my birthday today... and, as such, I'd decided not to work but to potter. As part of this pottering I thought I'd treat myself to a movie. I know! In the middle of the day!! Well, you can imagine my delight when I spied the name John Corbett {aka: Chris in the morning, aka: Aiden from SATC, aka: Tara's husband in United States of Tara aka: yum} so I settle in to watch I Hate Valentines Day.

I lasted 35 minutes. Now, as much as I love John Corbett, apparently you can double that love and turn it into loathe and you start to get an idea how I felt about Nia Vardalos's character. Damn. That wide-eyed ingenue look works rather well when you're actually a wide-eyed ingenue but I was having trouble accepting it from a grown-woman.

Erk.

Did anyone make it further into the film that I did? Was I just in a mood? Did my advanced age leave me with little or no regard for coy glances and hair flicks that belonged in the swimwear shoot for Australia's Next Top Model {btw: how GOOD is this series becoming...}.

I'm normally pretty forgiving of characters in films. Books I may well fling across the room in frustration {Lady Chatterley's Lover I am referring to you...} but films, I guess because I know they'll be over with soon I give 'em two, three, four, five chances.

How about you? Does your loving or loathing of a character influence your viewing or reading?

8 comments:

  1. haven't seen it - although it's not something i'd likely pick up.


    but, the point is, happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen it, but I like John Corbett and Nia Vardalos, so thanks for the heads up.

    I had a similar reaction to Lady Chatterly's lover. I read it, because you're supposed to right? One of the 'great' works of literature?

    Meh.

    Hope the rest of your day is better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kate!

    Melissa, glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kept getting up and going to do other things and come back. I never do that. Was disappointed. Hated it.

    Happy Birthday lovely, at least you have that fabbo bike and office!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still love that man, even if he is in a bad movie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never even heard of it but after your pseudo review I think I'll pass.

    I will tell you that I think I'm the only person on the plant that hated Forest Gump. Could they possibly try and cram anymore crap into that movie? Maybe that was the point I don't know but it was torture to finish.

    Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving or loathing a character is what it's all about. I couldn't even look at that movie. And - ready for sacrilege - Jane Austen's Emma is one of my least favourite characters ever. She drove me NUTS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! It was also my brother and mother-in-laws bday too:)

    Hoping you had a wonderful ,wonderful day xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x