Thursday, February 12, 2009

pie eye

Hey, you know how delish the seven hour leg of lamb is? You know, the one studded with anchovies and garlic? Well I upped the yum factor tonight by baking it into a pie.

I finely diced an onion and a couple of huge cloves of garlic and sauteed them in olive oil till they were soft. The I diced the remaining leg of lamb into decent-sized chunks and threw that in on top of the onion. Because there wasn't enough lamb to fill a pie dish, I then chopped up 250g of bacon and browned it in there as well. After this I poured in half a cup of red wine (a spicy shiraz) and let it soak into the meat, before adding another 1/2 cup. After this I added about one and a half cups of chicken stock (I didn't have any beef - or lamb) and some dried, mixed herbs (no fresh rosemary in my garden at the moment). Adjusting to taste I then slooshed in a good splash of worstershire (sp?) sauce and salt and pepper. To thicken, I added a tablespoon of gravy powder and simmered for 15 minutes.

I then lined a pie dish with puff pastry and stabbed it all over before baking it at 200 degrees for five minutes. Of course, despite my stabbing, it rose dramatically, so I stabbed it again and pushed it down flat with a spoon. The filling went on top of this, and I placed more puff pastry roughly over the top. I brushed the top with beaten egg (plenty of it) and stabbed a few breathing holes in the top.

This went in the oven for around 15 minutes, till it was deliciously golden, and I served it with Paris Mash and peas cooked in chicken stock with a dob of butter.

Oh.

My.

God.

For winter dinner parties I'll be serving individual pies in ramekins - with pastry just on the top for ease. And, for the record, hubby and daughter both ate their peas (obviously everything's better with chicken stock and butter...)

2 comments:

  1. You've made me hungry but all I want is your pie for breakfast! It sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it was. Matt's still raving about it. My first ever savoury pie too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x