Friday, October 24, 2008

time trial

As queen procrastination of I'll-do-it-later-ville something needed to be done, simply so I could get things done. Whether it's housework, washing, tidying, or writing to earn a living, I needed a push. Here's what I do - and it works. I'll set a timer for 30 to 45 minutes and totally put my head down in the one spot until the time's up, or I've completed what I have to do. No distractions allowed - the phone goes to answering machine, emails go unchecked, blogs are not peeked at for 'inspiration'. It's astonishing what you can achieve in a solid block of time. Which reminds me, article due this afternoon, not complete... see you in 45 minutes!

2 comments:

  1. I should probably do that more often, the timer trick, I bet it would work well for me too! Sometimes I get spurts o incentive at the least appropriate of times- like 2 am, and then suddenly it's 5 am, and I have a killer migraine and tough I've gotten a lot done- it's done me in and I sleep the entire next day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of those things that seems ridiculously simple, but it does work. I also found that when Annabella was young, if I sat down and dedicated 20 minutes to playing with her I was then afforded well over an hour when she was happy to leave me do what I needed.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x