Wednesday, October 22, 2008

i don't agree with what you have to say, but...

Last night I went to the weirdest meeting. It was at my daughter's school and was to be attended by, I presumed, adults. However, when I got there, I realised that there were apparently mean girls disguised as adults dotted around the room. Clever huh? Now these mean girls had a hissy whenever anyone questioned their statements, required explanation, or deviated one millimetre from their ideas. I was pretty sure I was in an episode of Twilight Zone, but unfortunately there was no pithy narrator with a 'punny' conclusion to round out the evening. 

Luckily I also attended with a couple of like-minded mums who were intelligent, impassioned and eloquent in their ideas. These mums didn't have rejoinders such as the classic toddler-statement,"No it's not" when someone expressed an opinion. These mums stated their case sensibly and in a sane manner. These mums also came back to my house for a couple of Kir Royales to calm the nerves afterwards...

Why is it that committees appear to attract the loons? Is there some reason why power-hungry attention seekers vie for posts while those who are willing to quietly achieve stand back? 

It's only been the last few years that I've been brave enough to politely speak up if I disagree with someone. But I'm damned polite about it. No matter how extreme or ridiculous an opinion I can't conceive of scoffing, eye-rolling, or shouting over someone. Yep, that's what happened last night. 

However, we got what we wanted. Unfortunately that also means I'm now on the committee with these charmers - give me strength... or a couple more Kir Royals...

1 comment:

  1. The same occurs at Eva's daycare/preschool. I just had to go to conferences because she starts preschool Monday and afterwards was a parent meeting and I just wanted to shoot myself the entire time. The woman who runs the place is a real trip- just an absolutely closed minded snippy loon of a woman. A sorority sister of mine from days gone by also sends her daughters there and forever we comment on how we have nothing in common with many of the other mothers there. We both sat at the meeting with resigned/perplexed/stupefied/exhausted looks on our faces for about 98% of the time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x