Thursday, October 02, 2008

making scents

When you have a super-heightened sense of smell you want to make sure that you're surrounded by things that smell delish. My dresser is scattered with perfume - Lovely, Tom Ford, YSL, Chanel, Stella McCartney... every scent has its place in my life. The day doesn't seem right if I don't spritz myself with perfume before walking out the door. 

It's the same with my home. I adore my lavender and vanilla room sprays - and I have a scented spiced pear candle that nearly sends me into a state of bliss when the wick is lit. Same deal with food. I love a meal that I can smell before I taste - bland and boring won't cut it.

Of course it's hardly surprising that I clean my home with essential oils sprinkled in warm water and white vinegar. Even if a chemical cleaner promises a pretty scent it's always an acrid version of something I loved - it's like cheese in a can. Why?

All the roses in my garden have a scent, and the only flowers I have in the garden that are unscented have got some pretty spectacular qualities (such as the pale green and pale pink nodding hellebores - stunningly pretty). 

I don't see the point in not surrounding yourself with things that are gorgeous and make you feel happy. Even practical can be pretty.

6 comments:

  1. Linda I have sent you a email but I forgot to mention - you just have to have a hybrid tea rose called "fragrant cloud" its a ready orange (not a great colour but put it with something dark green or maybe amoungst light yellow roses - I have about 5 of them near Elina roses that are pale yellow and it tones that red down a touch) but its the SCENT!!! One flower cut perfumes the whole room!
    Do you have the Austin Abraham Darby?? That is a lovely scented one too .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy - I mean Fragrant Cloud is a REDDY ORANGE colour!
    No - I have not had a cocktail! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to look out for that one - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always burn these candles that the smell is labeled "Spiced custard" they are a heavenly scent. surprisingly there is this new line of "eco friendly" products out here in the States called the Method and all of their scents are simply to die for. I also buy their vanilla spiced apple and lavendar sandalwood scented candles. They also have ones named Sweetgrass and Lemon that I use in the bedrooms and the office because the scent is fresh and clean and simple. We use sachets with cedar and lavendar in our closets too. My house is always a smell-gasm waiting to happen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an insane sense of smell too. It was almost creepy how well I could smell when I was pregnant, especially. Speaking of perfumes- I always have several in rotation.

    Spring/Summer- Marc Jacobs Basil, Estee Lauder White Linen, CK Euphoria Bloom, Micheal Kors Hawaii

    Fall/Winter- Stella McCartney, Armani Code, Tom Ford Black Orchid or White Patchouli, Lovely by SJP, Voktor & Rolf Flowerbomb.

    I also have a gazillion scented body washes and lotions.

    I also use linen spays. I may be a tad obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara, I think you're taking the obsessive scent title from me... and I didn't think that was possible! I've also passed it onto my daughter, so expect Eva to start falling into raptures over rose petal body wash shortly (as Annabella did yesterday)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x