Tuesday, December 22, 2009

freedom of choice



I remember one of the pieces of advice that stuck in my head while raising a toddler was "Choose your battles". Rather than thinking everything was uber-important, realise what really matters and make sure you fight hard for that.

If your child wants to go to the shops dressed in mis-matched shirt and skirt, with fairywings and gumboots - does it matter - or is it dead-cute?

I've decided to apply this advice to getting through Christmas relatively unscathed. Today I went to David Jones with my fluffy hair pulled back into a scruffy ponytail because I really should have washed it yesterday. Luckily a set of beads, lashings of mascara and some pretty lipstick made up for my crowning glory's sins.

After the photos two sister-in-law, one brother-in-law, one mother-in-law and four nieces came back for afternoon tea. Rather than knocking myself out baking I called in at a patisserie, bought gingerbread stars, christmas rocky road and a pack of choc and pecan chip biscuits {oooh, and I found confit duck in their fridge - score!}. Combined with chocolate baby biscuits from the pantry, chips and some leftover blue drink from Saturday everyone was adequately fed and watered and happy. We enjoyed the company and that's the main thing.

So now, before I do anything I'm going to ask myself, "Will anyone die or cry if I don't do this?" If the answer's no I'm going for the easy option - or I'll opt out all-together. This'll leave me free to focus on what really matters - giggling with family and friends - my favourite activity!

4 comments:

  1. Sage advice my friend! I need to choose my battles with Daisy and that is the best thing I have heard in a while. Clearly you have all the answers to evrything! Clever to pass that onto Christmas as well - enjoy! Sounds like you are having a fab time. We hit the road tomorrow...will be checking in from the farm though and you KNOW you will hear about the road trip from hell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to hear about the bliss in that pool you're heading to! Enjoy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that called perspective... Sounds like your really enjoying this festive season. Good on you! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
    the giggles with loved ones are a much better option ♥

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy. Thank you for taking the time to share the love x